ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by gonandkarl »

We will be watching You and every inch of the #1plank. I am so eager to learn to build the perfect boats hull.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Glued the bottom plank on yesterday.

Today used the block plane to produce a rolling bevel along the starboard edge of the bottom plank to match the changing angle of the overlapping starboard #1 plank, which was then glued along the rolling bevel to the bottom plank and to the transoms.

Spanish windlass used to snug down the planks at the bow and stern transoms, clamps and wedges to hold the planks in place.

Learning as I'm going, and getting the hang of it. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

This is where knowing how to keep the edge of the tools sharp is very critical. Very interesting to follow along as always.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:18 am This is where knowing how to keep the edge of the tools sharp is very critical. Very interesting to follow along as always.
This build is forcing me to learn to keep the block plane and chisel sharp. I've never been good at it.

Buying a cheapo Chinese sharpening jig is has made a big difference. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Does it support double bevel?
Have you considered using abrasive paper over stone?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:32 pm Does it support double bevel?
Have you considered using abrasive paper over stone?
The pic below shows the underside of the jig. It has a roller in its the centreline, and this along with the projecting edge of the blade to be sharpened define the bevel angle. Changing the projection changes the bevel. So multiple bevels are possible.

I haven't considered using abrasive paper over stone as I already have oil and water stones.

About to glue Feather Pram's next plank in place. :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Starboard #1 plank glued on. :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I found the following:
1. Double bevel on the edge was a huge extender of edge life.
2. Paper sharpening with very fine (2k) seemed to last longer than stone.
3. Those sharpening jigs are the saviors of ones sanity.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

When gluing the bottom and #1 planks, I've been able to clean up squeeze out of thickened glue on the outside face of the planks before it sets, but the clamps and moulds make cleaning up internally problematic.

This afternoon I've experimented by applying packing tape to mask out the sections of port #2 plank's underside, where I don't want squeeze out to adhere.

Then glued port #2 plank in place. Learning as I'm going. :D

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Liking this more and more. Love watching this come together.