ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by cape man »

Loving this build. Can't wait to see it come off the forms. Are you getting any squeeze out inside, or are you taping that as well?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:41 am Loving this build. Can't wait to see it come off the forms. Are you getting any squeeze out inside, or are you taping that as well?
I'm taping each plank on its inside face, except the edge strip that will be lapstrake glued to the adjacent plank.

The pic below shows the inside faces of portside planks #1 to #5.

Plank #1 was not taped. Taping has been removed from #2. There was some squeeze out from planks #3 - #5 that I missed when reaching under to clean up. It comes of the packing tape easily.

When the moulds are removed, it's only going to take light sanding to clean the interior up. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Michael, now that you have built SkinnyDip and the "Pram", for your next build can I suggest that you tackle something a little more complicated - to challenge your skills? 8O

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Stood her, building frame and all, on end today, to see how she's looking.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Well, how much does it weigh? Was it easy enough to man handle?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:51 am Well, how much does it weigh? Was it easy enough to man handle?
There is still a lot of building frame weight behind the shell in the first pic. More than I could lift.

Second pic, rotated for illustrative purpose, shows what's behind.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Stop showing off and put those last planks on!!! :lol: :lol: 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Well, the stolen oars from Great Sandy's RIB tender saga continues.......

I let it be known on Noosa's grapevine that I knew who the low life was who had stolen them, and that they had better be returned.

This morning I found one oar alongside the RIB, along with an illiterate note demanding abandonment of oyster reef restoration in the Noosa River and Lakes system.

Once again, low-life pissants show their colours. :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Me thinks someone is getting their jollies at your expense :roll:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:15 am Me thinks someone is getting their jollies at your expense :roll:
Yep, and it's the type of environmental reform transactional cost I've been coping and willing to pay for over 40 years.

Chicken shit compared to the substantial gains! :D