ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Ooops, double post. Apologies
Last edited by glossieblack on Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen and jonnymac. :D

Got Feather Pram's starboard # 7 plank (her starboard sheerstrake) glued in today.

Only her portside #7 to go, then she can be liberated from her moulds.

And weighed! :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You know we all waiting with baited breath for the big weigh in.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:05 am You know we all waiting with baited breath for the big weigh in.
YES!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

She is a beauty GB!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

I'll wager she's around 20 to 25 pounds when she comes off the jig/mould, leaving plenty of space for 15 - 20 pounds of innards and some hardware, and I may be over... :D

After all, what does a sheet and a half of 4mm Okume weigh?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

cape man wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:56 am I'll wager she's around 20 to 25 pounds when she comes off the jig/mould, leaving plenty of space for 15 - 20 pounds of innards and some hardware, and I may be over... :D

After all, what does a sheet and a half of 4mm Okume weigh?
13 pounds per sheet, so approx 20 lbs

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

One and a half sheets of Okume? Remember the bow and stern transoms are laminated out of Okume too. :wink:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Last plank, portside #7 plank, aka portside sheer strake, glued in.

Fifteen planks in total. Milestone. :D

Will wait for 24 hours for glue to cure, then flip her and start removing the moulds.

Anticipation .....

How will she look inside?

And what will her shell weight be (planking, bow and stern transoms)?

One more sleep. :D :D :D

CpnCrunch
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CpnCrunch »

Good morning sir,

You must be tired of reading everyone's comments about how well you work on this project and everything, but I don't really care if you are... So I'll just say it:

That's one really pretty boat you built there, attention to detail is awesome, especially since no fiberglass is intended on this one. No glue extrusions or anything.

This is impressive workmanship... although, we don't know yet if it will float or take water :wink:

Sébastien
Will someday start a PH18...