ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by MikeyGnz »

glossieblack wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:04 am Muir recommended wrapping both the motor and gearbox in Denso petrolatum tape (Egyptian mummy style), while leaving the inlet and outlet openings of the air cooling fan's shroud unobstructed.
I use Denso a lot for work. There is a lot of misunderstanding about it, it is not just petrolatum tape but is a three part system. First there is a putty that is used to fill any voids, then the petrolatum infused hessian/sackcloth followed by an overwrap. From the photos of the motor the putty probably isn't needed to wrap the outside of the cylinder but I would recommend using the overwrap as well as the petrolatum tape. The overwrap is like a 100mm wide electrical tape that stops the petrolatum being washed out of the hessian over time.

Using it on buried infrastructure we find that in some cases Denso only gives 5 years protection. Given how aggressive the marine environment can be I would add replacing the Denso every few years to the maintenance job list.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

So just wondering how long did the last motor last?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff and Jaysen, and thanks MikeyGnz for your insights on Denso tape. :D
Fuzz wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:03 pm So just wondering how long did the last motor last?
Twenty years till the fag end, 100% reliable for first 15.

Fourth coat of varnish on helming seat and associated trim is on. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

glossieblack wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:32 am
Fuzz wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:03 pm So just wondering how long did the last motor last?
Seems what you did to protect it worked pretty good the first 15 years.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I wonder if just painting some cosmoline on it. Any metal parts that are shipped across the ocean are generally coated with it and we use it for long term storage of bare metal parts at the shipyard. cosmoline only comes off with acetone, so I would think it would work well.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:33 am
glossieblack wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:32 am
Seems what you did to protect it worked pretty good the first 15 years.
GB, this may sound insensitive, but it’s not meant to be. If it lasts 15yr, is this a real problem for you? How much longer will GS be under your stewardship?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The kid said what I was thinking :P When I was deciding to foam in or not the Sintes fuel tank my buddy said well we know it will last around 20 years with foam. Will it really matter to you in 20 years. I chose not to foam but his point is still valid. I know you want the best for Great Sandy but this might be a case where the pain is not worth the gain.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:24 am GB, this may sound insensitive, but it’s not meant to be. If it lasts 15yr, is this a real problem for you? How much longer will GS be under your stewardship?
Fuzz wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:43 pm The kid said what I was thinking :P When I was deciding to foam in or not the Sintes fuel tank my buddy said well we know it will last around 20 years with foam. Will it really matter to you in 20 years. I chose not to foam but his point is still valid. I know you want the best for Great Sandy but this might be a case where the pain is not worth the gain.
Valid points by Jaysen and Fuzz but need to look at how they have lasted for other people as well, pretty much every product has a few outliers that last significantly longer or shorter than average. Also has the manufacturing quality decreased in the last 15 years? I'm sure we all have stories where manufacturing quality has gone down over time as costs are cut.

Personally I would do what I can to protect it but then I like tinkering and the peace of mind from knowing it will work when required. Also should you be thinking of selling in time it is something that can be pointed to as an example of maintenance. Ultimately it will be your choice.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Valid points by MikeyGnz also. There is never a thing wrong with making something as good as you can. I would just want to know the pain was worth the gain. Nothing worse than causing new problems while trying to improve things.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks OQ, jonnymac, Jaysen, Fuzz x2, and MikeyGnz for contributing to what to me is a fascinating discussion on boat ownership and maintenance.

What I find intriguing is that the discussion is taking place on a builders forum which I read as being heavily biased towards a 'build it right for the long haul, for yourself and future owners' value set rather than a 'build it to serve your ownership span only, and beyond that, it's the next person's problem' value set.

For me, as I build Skinnydip, I'm trying to build as a foundation steward, hopefully for generations of stewards to come.

And for me, as the deeply appreciative current steward of Great Sandy, I'm committed to handing her over to her next owner in at least as good a condition as I received her from her builder, then multi-year blue water cruising skipper, whose legacy I revere.

This is my personal choice, I'm not trying to foist it on to anybody else. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).