ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Jaysen »

I thought there was a hard choice in there…

Why wouldn’t cruising be the preferred option?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

exactly what i was thinking. All though could be some challenges, but I’m sure as long as the wine and food don’t run out you’ll be ok.😜
Jaysen wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:05 pm I thought there was a hard choice in there…

Why wouldn’t cruising be the preferred option?

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Me thinks the wise old Glossieblack is playing with us.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Some three days ago I posted:
glossieblack wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:38 am It feels to us like it's come down to a privileged choice: Do we prefer being locked down at our loved home in the seaside town of Noosa, or on our cruising yacht Great Sandy while passaging between iconic Great Barrier Reef anchorages?
Jaysen, jonnymc and cape man, re-reading the above now, I can see how you may have concluded that I was positing two equally attractive choices. Hell no, for us, cruising in Great Sandy is by far our preferred choice, and I should have explicitly spelt this out, while noting that we we're privileged to have two attractive choices. My bad.

We've been putting in long hours preparing and provisioning Great Sandy. Only two more sleeps to go before we weigh anchor and are on our way north to Great Barrier Reef tropical waters. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I was pretty certain I understood your intent. My question was asked with a wink. I’m that guy who states the obvious because … well … I do.

You are already outdoor see the Noosa bar if I recall correctly. Do you adventurous exiting from the current port of call?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB since it is Wed afternoon our time I guess you will be be sailing off some time your time tomorrow. Safe sailing and red skies at night. Enjoy your trip.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen and Tom.

We are currently at Mooloolaba, which we'll depart at 2am Saturday morning our time, so we can passage approx 60 nm north to cross the at times challenging Wide Bay bar just before high around 11am.

The Mooloolaba bar is well lit and generally benign in moderate conditions. In mderate conditions, we are comfortable crossing the Mooloolaba bar at night regardless of tide. We'll only cross Wide Bay in daylight, high tide, and moderate conditions.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

will you sail across the bar crossing or are you motoring at that point. I watched some videos and it looks like a interesting ride even in nice conditions.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

GB, you and the child bride stay safe and have a great time!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

And post lots of pictures for those of us who are headed into winter.