ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by TomW1 »

Well said GB. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Tom.

Today I removed the last rusted components from Great Sandy's anchor locker, so I was able to do what I've been looking forward too ... removing the tell-tale sign of slack maintenance. :oops:

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Good deal! We just can not have that pea stain running down her side :help:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Fuzz, when you take your comfort, do you have a pee or pea?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

glossieblack wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:23 am Fuzz, when you take your comfort, do you have a pee or pea?
Man this is a tough crowd :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Fuzz, I suspected you packed a pistol, not a peashooter! :lol:

Today I almost completed installing electrical cabling, fusing and switching for an additional stern navigation light, and an additional all round anchor light, on Great Sandy.

At times when overnighting, the white stern light is partially obstructed by the RIB tender housed on its davits.

Over the years, we've found that on a dark nights in busy anchorages, an additional all-round white anchoring light just above cabin roof level reinforces the safety provided by the all-round anchoring light at the mast head. And after we've had a sundowner or two on a cruising companion boat and wish to return to Great Sandy, we know to head for the boat with white lights top and bottom. Don't ask how this became important. :wink:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Beautiful clear blue sunny sky, but nippy, winter day.

So I abandoned finalisation of some electronic upgrade plans, and spent the day applying another coat of varnish on Great Sandy's external topsides trim, while soaking in and enjoying the warmth of the winter sun. :D

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

It is great to read you are keeping busy with work/pleasure activities.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks OQ, great to hear from you. :D Are you likely to get the chance to progress your interestingly bespoke FS14 in the coming months?

Got a 5th coat of varnish on Great Sandy's coach-house window trims today. :D

The blue masking tape below the trims allows me to varnish the underside of the trim sans line of sight ... to hard to get my fat old arse down that low. :wink:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks great GB, really nice work!!! Jeff