ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ST 21 Noosa Australia

Post by jorgepease »

Super cool hull ... I wonder if you used 2 of these if you could make a much longer, wider, shallow drafting catamaran house boat :D

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

glossieblack wrote:Lag bolts they will be, thanks Jacques.

Fuzz, when withdrawing the prop shaft, how does it miss the rudder shaft in your setup, as both are on the CL axis?
Well I was wondering if I explained myself very well or not :doh: And you clearly understand what I was saying so that is easy. My inboard boats have all been 30 plus feet so the rudders are bigger. Rather than having the rudder stock run full length from steering yoke to skeg we have used two short pieces top and bottom. This leaves a center section of the rudder with no shaft and that is where the hole goes. This way you can pull the prop and remove the shaft if needed without pulling the rudder or skeg off.
Great looking build, I am really enjoying watching it.
Fuzz

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

glossieblack wrote:
That looks awesome !! Very nice job 8) 8)

CaptainAB
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CaptainAB »

glossieblack wrote:Congratulations on a fine looking build Captain AB. Do you know if an Atkin Rescue Minor or Shoals Runner has been built In Australia?
Hi Glossieblack - thank you for your kind comments. I'm not aware of a Rescue Minor or Shoals Runner being built in Australia although as you know, many have been built elsewhere. However, last year my shipwright friend built 3 of Atkin's 21' "Russell 'R'" designs in order to travel the length of the Murray River (about 2500Kms) powered only by 2.5 HP British Seagull Outboard motors from the 1950s, just to prove that it could be done! The project was a great success and has a Facebook page full of photos if you're interested. The next trip, planned to cover more of the river, will use two (perhaps three) Rescue Minors, which will be built in the next twelve months or so. Hopefully, Rhapsody In Glue (my River Belle design which is the same as the Rescue Minor only bigger) will be in the water by then and we will have been able to confirm (or otherwise) Atkin's claims for its performance.

CaptainAB

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

First, I will split this thread to separate River Belle from the ST21. Done.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

An earlier post advised:
glossieblack wrote:The (gear)box is coming from Koysan Marine in Turkey. Its model A-1 mechanical box is available in a number of ratios including 1:1.
Due to ongoing difficulties in getting timely responses from Koysan :roll:, have switched to plan b. A Baysan M30C mechanical 1.125:1 marine box has been ordered and will arrive in Australia in about 3 weeks. Baysan is another Turkish marine gearbox manufacturer. The 1:1 Koysan box weighs 120 lbs, the Baysan 1.125:1 40 lbs. So when balancing ratios and weight, six of one, half a dozen of another.

Jacques, Is a slightly higher pitch propeller than the 10 x 10 specified for a 1:1 box likely to be appropriate? :help:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes in theory but the difference is small, 1/10 more . . . 10x12 may be too much.
I would stay with the 10x10 and test. Cupping may be sufficient or you may be happy with the top speed since you said that speed was not top priority.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

JoshuaAhab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JoshuaAhab »

Glossie,

In my opinion you made the right move. Beyond the fact their indifference borders on insulting, what luck do you think you'd have dealing with Koysan on a warranty claim if you have to beg them for product in the first place?

That was my view in going with Nanni's stock 1:1.43 gearbox anyway.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

JoshuaAhab wrote:Glossie,

In my opinion you made the right move. Beyond the fact their indifference borders on insulting, what luck do you think you'd have dealing with Koysan on a warranty claim if you have to beg them for product in the first place?
Hi JA, It would have been nice to see how ST 21 performed with a 1:1 box, but not only is the Koysan box three times heavier than the Baysan one, it's twice as long. The Baysan box is similar in weight and size to the box on the Nanni. How's progress on your build?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Have completed taping the seams and have started preparing for wide fabric application. The Festool Rotex 150 is making life easier.

It's been one month today since the build started. Will break out a bottle of celebratory bubbles tonight :)