ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:01 pm Great deal GB glad you were able to find the parts. Tom
Agreed Tom!

Drove down to Mooloolaba Marina today to finish the winch servicing, only to discover that during the half hour drive down our entire region had been put into a hard covid (delta) lockdown, effective 3 hours hence, for local reasons I fully support.

So I removed the helming station seat and associated trims for stripping back and revarnishing back in Noosa, high tailed it back home buying provisions on the way, and got to it.

Timber stripped back and sanded ready for first coat of varnish tomorrow. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yea we are back to mask required inside also, Delta is running rampant in some states up here also. Some states with less than 40% vaccinated.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:55 pm Half sheet baking pan works wonders for disassemble and reassemble of things that have parts that may try to wonder off.

Sorry to hear your parts taking a dip.
Another thing that works well for steel parts is a magnetic parts tray. It doesn't protect against clumsy fingers like mine dropping parts before they make it to the tray but if I can get it to the tray it will stay there.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Tom and MikeyGnz. :D

I'm pondering how to protect the new anchor windlass electric motor from the ravages of saltwater raining down on it as it winds in the anchor chain, as happened to the recently deceased one - see pic below. :help:

I'm toying with either periodic coats of grease spray or a more permanent wrapping of petrolatum tape, however I've no prior experience to draw on in a situation.

Suggestions appreciated. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

glossieblack wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:35 am Thanks Tom and MikeyGnz. :D

I'm pondering how to protect the new anchor windlass electric motor from the ravages of saltwater raining down on it as it winds in the anchor chain, as happened to the recently deceased one - see pic below. :help:

I'm toying with either periodic coats of grease spray or a more permanent wrapping of petrolatum tape, however I've no prior experience to draw on in a situation.

Suggestions appreciated. :D
I would be hesitant to wrap or enclose the motor in anything that could reduce airflow and prevent cooling. Last thing anyone wants on a boat is an electric motor burning out at the worst moment. Grease spray could do the same by covering/blocking air passages.

I a jet boat we had a problem with water dripping through the gap/hinges between the transom and engine cover and onto the starter motor, we were losing a starter motor every year or 2 from this. We cut the side out of a plastic oil bottle and mounted it above the starter motor so any water was diverted to either side. Still had good airflow to cool starter but no drips onto it meant no more problems.

I haven't seen where the motor sits in relation to chain and other parts so can't give ideas on exactly how to do it, but upcycling an old bottle is usually simple and has little or no cost if you need to try a few different designs.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Build a proper shield and 4200 it in place?

Seems like there is a seal or three that should be preventing water from getting in there.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB I have never learned to draw on here, but if you can may be a little drawing may give one of us an idea of the problem.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks MikeyGnz, Jaysen and Tom! :D Your comments provoked me to try to better understand a sensible way of balancing protection from salt water corrosion and maintaining motor cooling. So I called long-established and respected Muir Winches, the manufacturer of my electric windlass.

Muir's advice was clear: prioritise safeguarding the electric motor and attached gearbox against saltwater corrosion, as heat build-up is not a significant issue, given the intermittent and short operating times of the winch and gearbox.

Muir recommended wrapping both the motor and gearbox in Denso petrolatum tape (Egyptian mummy style), while leaving the inlet and outlet openings of the air cooling fan's shroud unobstructed. See https://youtu.be/ZKOgAFKmneQ for a colourful (from what-part-of-America?) description.

This afternoon I applied a third coat of varnish to Great Sandy's helming seat and associated trims, brought back to Noosa just before Saturday's snap Delta Covid lockdown. For the time being, I'm Noosa, and unable to travel to Mooloolaba to work on Great Sandy.

The child bride and I are fortunate to be safe, healthy and happy though. :D

Last edited by Jaysen on Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adjusted youtube embed link

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nicely done GB!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Seems like a hybrid northern New England (Maine, New Hampshire) and north-central accent (Wisconsin, Minnesota).

If the manufacturer says do it, then I fully support you creating a tutorial for the rest of us :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.