ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by cape man »

And I will keep $2000 in my pocket.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Hmm... might be worth it if the the rum is negotiable. I don’t share well.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

It's been an overcast rainy day in locked down Noosa.

So I've indulged myself with a sketch pad, interlaced with internet dives, evaluating alternative details and finishes for my take on a below 40lb Iain Oughtred Feather Pram.

All roads lead to minimalistic marine ply planking, with laminated frame reinforced bow and stern transoms. Cogitating done.

Tomorrow I'll order the marine ply. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I checked my supply of popcorn, this looks like it is going to be interesting.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Hope so OQ. :D

Two incidents of my day under COVID-10 lockdown here in Noosa. A medical appointment where I'm instructed to stay in my car, and the nurse comes out and jabs me in the arm through the window. To get my glasses repaired, I place them in a basket on the end of stick gingerly pocked out of the door of the optometrist, then sit in my car before being phoned to collect said glasses via reverse procedure.

Perspective. Roughly half of Noosa's economy is tourism-based, so the town is on it's arse socially and economically. The above incidents are trivial in the light of the genuine hardship, anguish and suffering of many locally. Let alone globally. Pouring over the plans of the Feather Pram, figuring out how to best achieve a sub 40lb build, and ordering requisite material to get started, is an enjoyable privilege. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Four f*****g weeks!

Four f*****g weeks before the quality light weight marine ply that I ordered yesterday might be available for the Feather Pram build, due to COVID-19 international shipping disruptions. Might?!

Thicker same quality and hence heavier plywood is available, but with my 40 lb build limit, I'm not comfortable.

Time to ponder over a glass of red.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

why 40lb? My D5 was 40kg :oops: .

I wouldn't change that much though.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

If you have to wait and think about it a month you are going to need a bigger glass. :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:08 am why 40lb? My D5 was 40kg :oops: . I wouldn't change that much though.
At my age, forty pounds is about the max I want to load or unload between car roof-rack and terra firma, or take between car park and shoreline.
OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:40 am If you have to wait and think about it a month you are going to need a bigger glass. :lol:

Good advice implemented. :lol: :lol: :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Today I went to the local big box hardware store and purchased ½” thick plywood for building moulds for the Feather Pram.

Similar ½” ply was part of my order for the 1/6” thick okoume marine ply for planking the boat – while the order was being shipped; the ½ was to form a protective face layer to the 1/6” okoume.

With delivery of that order at least three weeks away due to COVID-19 disruption to the supply chain, by buying the ply for the moulds locally, at least I can get started on the building frame, cutting and installing the moulds, and fairing them.