ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Premature post - apologies. :oops:
Last edited by glossieblack on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Each of the mirror halves of the forward starboard-port thwart glued up today. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Some time ago I decided to go with Feather Pram's traditional thwart layout (first image), rather than the more common thwart layout of glued lapstrake marine plywood construction (second image), even though there will be a slight weight penalty. Why?

Because at times I'll be doing longish runs in Feather Pram powered by Great Sandy's RIB 2hp Honda 4 stroke. When doing so, I want to be able to move my weight in-or-outboard as conditions dictate, by sliding on a mid-ships starboard-port thwart that's wider than the crack in my arse. :wink: I've been fabricating the thwarts accordingly - wider midships thwart, and longer centreline thwart.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

glossieblack wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:14 am... by sliding on a mid-ships starboard-port thwart that's wider than the crack in my arse. :wink: ...
There are some folks in my part of the word that would require you do use an uncut sheet of ply to meet that requirement. ;)

Where is this sexy beast going to be used again? My memory is being overwritten by Helms data...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work GB!!!! Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I would be I interested to know the weight of your ladder system thwarts versus a solid piece of wood. Do you have a scrap of hardwood you could cut to size?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

cape man wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:09 am I would be I interested to know the weight of your ladder system thwarts versus a solid piece of wood. Do you have a scrap of hardwood you could cut to size?
Or dimensions & use this table of wood densities.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen (for the laugh), Jeff, cape man and Brian C. :D

Cape man some time ago asked:
cape man wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:21 am I like the ladder design. Will you dare a test to see how much weight it will bare? I would wager it is damn close to a solid laminate and at least 30% lighter.
Yesterday I glued together the four laminate planks from which to cut the aft and mid-ships thwarts - see pic below.

Then I weight tested them as per cape man's query. The result? They are inadequate to carry my weight without a supporting post mid span. I'm in no doubt that four layers of full laminate would have not been up to the task either. In the interest of light weight, I'll go with mid span support. I'm also in no doubt that a light weight okume skin over okume ladder frame with mid span support will be lighter than a conventional hardwood thwart without mid span support.

In due course, I'll verify or disprove the above, responding to cape man's follow up query and Brian C's method suggestion.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

glossieblack wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:59 am Premature post - apologies. :oops:
Jaysen, I'm a techno-ignoramus, so if there even the slightest chance of inadvertently posting i a non-productive manner, as a frequent poster, chances are I'll end up doing it.

Until recently, when I inadvertently tried to double post, there was a warning, and I could correct. This ay still be the case with 'mainstream' posting procedures. But somehow recently, without warning, I've ended up double posting on a number of occasions, and once three times. :help:

For your consideration. Thanks for your efforts to build a better forum experience for all of us.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

glossieblack wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:59 am
glossieblack wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:59 am Premature post - apologies. :oops:
Until recently, when I inadvertently tried to double post, there was a warning, and I could correct. This ay still be the case with 'mainstream' posting procedures. But somehow recently, without warning, I've ended up double posting on a number of occasions, and once three times. :help:
I’ve noticed an increase in this as well. We’ve made no changes to the post duplicate reduction settings. The current version is supposed to be MORE aggressive at preventing rapid dupes. I’ve been scratching my head in this one.

You will notice we have some more maintenance coming up (hardware and OS upgrade time). If I can’t figure it out by then I’ll look to increase the post timer to disallow rapid sequential posting. Hopefully that will get it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.