ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by BarraMan »

Michael, can I suggest that you start another thread for this build? :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the ongoing interest Fuzz. :D

Lee, just as your FBBB's build thread included her trailer build, the trailer-less Skinnydip's build thread includes her Feather Pram tender build. IMO the most interesting build threads on this forum cover not only how we build our boats, but how we use the boats in our life to try and achieve what we're seeking. :D
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:04 pm I am guess the moulds come out after the planks are glued?
Yep, pic below is looking into the of the interior of a Feather Pram recently removed from her moulds. :D

Last edited by glossieblack on Fri May 08, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That is going to take some craftsmanship to build. But I have no fear you are up to the task.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I am with Fuzz, I have no clue but interesting to learn as you build it!! And agree that you have the craftsmanship skills in your wheelhouse to do a fantastic job!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Gents,

Glued lapstrake/clinker plywood construction is very little different than our Bateau2 way of building, in that moulds are set up, then plywood planks are laid over the moulds to form the hull shape.

The essential difference is that with B2 construction, the planks are gap-butted, with lapstrake/clinker they are overlapped. In both cases thickened epoxy glue bonds the joint.

If you want end up with a paint finish inside and out, you can go either way. If you want bright finish inside and out, then glued lapstrake/clinker is at attractive option (cold moulded or strip planking are other options).

Glued lapstrake/clinker is likely to be lighter than Bateauu2, but it requires more precise woodwork.

Either way can produce great boats. It depends on the finish and weight you're after. Horses for courses, no big deal. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

The child bride and I are celebrating our 51st wedding anniversary aboard Great Sandy for a day or two. :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Congratulations to the two of you :!: Most folks are doing good to make 10 years now days. I note you have all three of your best girls all in one spot. I take my hat off to any man who can pull that off :D
Looks like you have a feast going on too. What is the red fish looking dish in the middle? Almost looks like a salmon fillet.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Congrats to both of you. Looks like fun!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congrats GB and the child bride, really nice to see a couple together and happy for that many years!!!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the 51st well wishes Fuzz, cape man and Jeff! Appreciated. :D
Fuzz wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:34 am What is the red fish looking dish in the middle? Almost looks like a salmon fillet.
Smoked and thinly sliced Aussie ocean farmed trout. :D