ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Jaysen »

glossieblack wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:56 am Thanks for the encouragement and support Jaysen, Jeff, and Fuzz.

And Lee, I 'd advise caution heading into such shoal waters in the FBBB :wink:

If I recall, Lee was timid but was encouraged by someone we refer to as GB.

Do I recall the grounding incorrectly?

:D
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Not sure I can remember. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

After 10 days of self-imposed house isolation and occasional Skinnydip wilderness sorties, I've been unable to shake a cold. So today I telephone consulted my quack, and am now on a course of antibiotics to clear things up before corana can get a clear crack at me. I received the following from a friend late last night:

Heard some advice on the radio. It said to have inner peace, that we should always finish things we start. Particularly at the moment, we all could use some more calm in our lives. So I looked through the house to find things that I’d started and hadn’t finished; so I finished off a bottle of Shiraz, then a Pinot, a bottle of Whiskey, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how fecking fabilus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two al bee happee wilst in howz installation.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Nobeach
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Nobeach »

LMAO, first time in a while :D :D :D

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

glossieblack wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:11 am After 10 days of self-imposed house isolation and occasional Skinnydip wilderness sorties, I've been unable to shake a cold. So today I telephone consulted my quack, and am now on a course of antibiotics to clear things up before corana can get a clear crack at me. I received the following from a friend late last night:

Heard some advice on the radio. It said to have inner peace, that we should always finish things we start. Particularly at the moment, we all could use some more calm in our lives. So I looked through the house to find things that I’d started and hadn’t finished; so I finished off a bottle of Shiraz, then a Pinot, a bottle of Whiskey, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how fecking fabilus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two al bee happee wilst in howz installation.
Hope the antibiotics do the trick but a good laugh always speeds up recovery!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Nobeach and OQ. In these times, much appreciated. :D
OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:06 am Do you know what was the cause of the overheating and the cure?
This afternoon I started drafting a response to OQ's question. While doing so, I recalled that in face of engine overheating in the closed loop coolant system, while conducting trial and error adjustment testing, I had removed the engine's thermostat, and not reinstalled it.

So I can half competently answer OQ's question, I’m wondering if removing the thermostat could have contributed to the raw water impellor's subsequent destruction? :help:

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

Glossielack wrote: Heard some advice on the radio. It said to have inner peace, that we should always finish things we start. Particularly at the moment, we all could use some more calm in our lives. So I looked through the house to find things that I’d started and hadn’t finished; so I finished off a bottle of Shiraz, then a Pinot, a bottle of Whiskey, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how fecking fabilus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two al bee happee wilst in howz installation.
Greet advijs. Ai ditn fnaid ope botells, zo ai trraid wiz nieuw wones. Id des weurk alsso!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Brilliant. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The raw water impeller should not have a thermostat or any kind of water restriction. Should pump water through the heat exchanger unchecked other than the sand trap. Air being sucked into the system could burn it up. That could happen when there is a restriction and then you go to WOT that restriction causes a vacuum in the supply side and then because the lower pressure can cause the raw water to form air bubbles like boiling water. Those same air bubbles will burn the impeller up. In THEORY!

The thermostat maybe sticking or not opening completely but with no water pumping through the heat exchanger, that may have been your overheating cause. I would also find out why the hose is blowing off, which means to much pressure, that maybe a pressure relief cap sticking or the coolant side of the heat exchanger is plugged. In one of your pictures of the coolant cap there was a overflow hose. Should have a 2 stage cap, one stage to vent pressure build up and then the other to seal the system when the first stage is venting. They make coolant system pressure testing kits to check the cap to make sure it vents at the correct pressure. Maybe able to take the cap to the local auto shop and see if they can test it for you. You can take just the cap. Because water expands when it's heated the over flow is there to relief the pressure build up even if the engine is not overheating. In most cases there is a bottle to catch the excessive coolant that is vented out. When the engine cools down it creates a negative pressure (vacuum) and the first stage of the pressure cap allows the coolant to be pushed back into the engine. It has a check valve built in so this can happen. The venting of the coolant can also happen at WOT and maximum flow of the coolant.

Also do you not have a O/H light or temp gauge on the motor?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

HI Gb,

I was the guy who said G'day to you on the Noosa river a couple of weeks ago. That slick little skiff was
"Elbow Grease".

It was great to see SD in the flesh

Mat