ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Jaysen »

GB. remember to use a long shooting plane or you are more likely to get subtle curves in the joint edge. The curves will compound once matched. I'm sure you've got this, but I feel obligated to mention it because... I'm me. :D
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You said something about living on the north shore of Noosa and I got to looking. If you do not mind saying are you up or downstream of Goat Island?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen, good advice.

Fuzz, running upstream from the Noosa River bar to the section of the river adjacent to where we live a little inland, Goat Island is a tad over half way.

Spent a lazy sunny Noosa afternoon doing maintenance work on Great Sandy. Messing about in boats therapy to relieve the tedium of the lockdown. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

The plans for Iain Oughtred's Feather Pram arrived today.

What a pleasure it is to imagine each unfolding step of your next build adventure. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I feel that! I too recently got access to some plans. Hopefully you are less like me. The Mrs here is ready to knife me if i don't stop talking about the "next" project.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:17 am I feel that! I too recently got access to some plans. Hopefully you are less like me. The Mrs here is ready to knife me if i don't stop talking about the "next" project.
Jaysen, if you're pouring over plans for your next project after building the round da worlder, then sailing her 360, I think a jury may acquit Mrs Jaysen if she wielded the knife to remove a certain appendage. :wink:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

glossieblack wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:32 am
Jaysen wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:17 am I feel that! I too recently got access to some plans. Hopefully you are less like me. The Mrs here is ready to knife me if i don't stop talking about the "next" project.
Jaysen, if you're pouring over plans for your next project after building the round da worlder, then sailing her 360, I think a jury may acquit Mrs Jaysen if she wielded the knife to remove a certain appendage. :wink:
I'm not quite that far into "next". But let's say that I haven't stopped looking at plans for something she would be happier to spend on month on. VG26 always felt smart to me. I'm betting that would be a "happy wife" option of me.

cape man

Post by cape man »

So I went to his site to see more about the pram

https://www.classicmarine.co.uk/boatpla ... bilge-pram

and see where he lists the weight at 25 kg meaning you are going to have to lose 15 lbs to achieve your 40 lbs all in. Love it!!! Shades of a Super Light SC16 :lol: Make it really similar and put a price/cost limit on it. $1,000 US not Australian...or get real serious and make it Australian dollars. Are you going to start a separate thread or just keep it going here?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man, you've drawn on a pommie on-line chandlery in citing 25 kg.

I'm relying on the designer. Oughtred's 'Lapstrake Plywood Boat Design Catalogue (2017 Update) page 14 lists his Feather Pram at 18 kg or 40 lb.

Good enough for me as a build target.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Spent today messing around in boats. Firstly a bit of maintenance on Great Sandy, then went for a run in Skinnydip up the Noosa River to Lake Cootharaba then back down again to an ever shifting sand island in the lower estuary where I dropped the pick to have a walk and a swim. A pleasant way to bust open the day. :D