ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:02 am Why would one system failing be a reason to not connect them? Isn't that the point of redunancy? If you connect them via a nema2000 network and one of them dies; the other would not.
Depends on method of failure state. If one starts transmitting bad data it could create chaos in the other unit. Redundant systems should implement complete redundancy down to the sensor level. Otherwise you’re better off with cold spares.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:13 am Redundant systems should implement complete redundancy down to the sensor level. Otherwise you’re better off with cold spares.
Yep!

Because I'm celestial navigation illiterate, my worst nightmare is a lightning strike taking out gps in treacherous waters, and having to jury rig a get home system. :help: With two stand alone systems, jury rigging prospects increase.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

glossieblack wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:24 am
Jaysen wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:13 am Redundant systems should implement complete redundancy down to the sensor level. Otherwise you’re better off with cold spares.
Yep. My worst nightmare is a lightning strike, being way of shore, and having to salvage a jury rig gps nav system.
This is the largest driver for my belief that celestial and dead reckoning navigation should be the primary modes of nav with electronic as the backup. If I can’t see then knowing where I am is irrelevant. To me all the electrical on board has to be considered luxury not primary.

I’m not normal.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:34 am
glossieblack wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:24 am
Yep. My worst nightmare is a lightning strike, being way of shore, and having to salvage a jury rig gps nav system.
This is the largest driver for my belief that celestial and dead reckoning navigation should be the primary modes of nav with electronic as the backup. If I can’t see then knowing where I am is irrelevant. To me all the electrical on board has to be considered luxury not primary.

I’m not normal.
Ha, ya not normal because you're logical and a purist. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:13 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:02 am Why would one system failing be a reason to not connect them? Isn't that the point of redunancy? If you connect them via a nema2000 network and one of them dies; the other would not.
Depends on method of failure state. If one starts transmitting bad data it could create chaos in the other unit. Redundant systems should implement complete redundancy down to the sensor level. Otherwise you’re better off with cold spares.
Interesting and certainly true/valid. But not many boats have a budget, space/time/money for two separate ap systems.

I think the idea of an ipad and wifi is not a bad one. The ipad might survive a strike and might still have a gps signal, so at least you have an idea about loc/heading. I have been debating the ipad idea and the ipad is going to be a don't leave the dock now thanks to you guys. I could always navigate by the sun, but might end up 40 miles east..and that may be, gulp, Galveston, ish.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Look for a chrome tablet. Cheaper than iPad. Crap ton of apps. Not as reliable for everyday use but… cheap.

I’m not poopooing the use of electronic nav for folks that are fishing or other activities that need precision location. For my use it’s not critical that I tack at an exact coordinate. And if I am in a race that requires a lat/lon based market point then the nav systems will be on board to support it. All the races I’m interested in are sans electronic nav gear so they use islands for markers.

My expectation is that I can build a complete system with sensors inexpensively enough to have one or more complete backup sets stowed on board. Lightning is always going to be a killer of things. Even backups could get toasted. Hence my efforts at learning celestial.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Ooops, double post, apologies.
Last edited by glossieblack on Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

A very valuable conversation thanks Jaysen and fallguy. :D

My take is that each us treat responsible seamanship and safety as paramount, and that given our different circumstances, each of us is legitimately choosing different technological support systems to support our endeavours: Jaysen is pursing cutting edge DIY technology because that is his passion, fallguy has sensibly chosen contemporary mainstream technology, and I'm pragmatically upgrading and tweaking old-school technology I installed in the late 1990s. I'm confident each of us can safely enjoy our future cruising adventures enormously.

Speaking of future cruising, there is a small but tantalising window of opportunity for Great Sandy to slip her mooring and cross the Noosa bar to cruising freedom this coming weekend! :D

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

My thoughts are with you and the Mrs. on having a fun, relaxing and a safe crossing into open seas and the beginning of the next adventure!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You need to get some on board video of the crossing. Mount a GoPro to a rail so we can get a good feel for the changing conditions as you transition. Should make for some good watching.