ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:22 am You need to get some on board video of the crossing. Mount a GoPro to a rail so we can get a good feel for the changing conditions as you transition. Should make for some good watching.
Every now and again the kid has a damn good idea :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

The child bride and I boarded Great Sandy this morning intending to spend the day preparing for a hopeful Noosa bar crossing tomorrow.

But hey, today was a gorgeous Noosa sunny winter Sunday, and the bar was behaving itself.

So on impulse we went for it, crossed the Noosa bar just before high tide, and after three hours of sublime sunny winter sailing, we crossed the Mooloolaba bar 20 nm south and dropped the pick on sunset.

Our 2021 Great Sandy cruise was underway! The child bride and I were ready for a celebratory drink. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great day GB!!!! You guys have a great time and always stay safe!!!! Jeff

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Cheers to the well done crossing o the Noosa bar even that we could not take part with Fuzzes idea of a GoPro camera. When I read tomorrow you will try the crossing I looked on my watch and thought actually it should be tomorrow on your side and the next moment I read you made it. Enjoy your cruise along the coast.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

cape man

Post by cape man »

Enjoy!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Glad the bar crossing went well for you. I hope you will as in the past and take us along on your adventures :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Glad the crossing went well and have a great and relaxing cruise.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

This thread is coming up for 600 pages and 6000 replies! 8O

Surely some sort of record and cause for an online celebration! :lol:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Lets see. Builder who builds unusual boats,takes fascinating trips, lives in a marvellous place that many of us would like to see and lives a life most of us envy to some degree. Small wonder this is a active thread. Lee you count yourself as the same for most or all of this.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff, Karl, cape man, Fuzz, Tom, Lee and Fuzz again. :D

We've decided to stay awhile in Mooloolaba Marina https://www.mooloolabamarina.com.au/ to do a few maintenance jobs that require professional assistance not readily available in Noosa.

I've been nursing the electric motor on Great Sandy anchor windlass for the past few years, as occasionally it just refuses to operate. To date, a tap on the side of the electric motor with a winch handle has done the trick (a bit like a getting a stuck starter motor or fuel pump on an old car going), but given the deteriorating nature of the electrical motor's casing, I'm no longer game to give it a tap. Time to replace it.

As the pics of the existing and replacement electric winch motor below show, 20 years of saltwater spraying over the motor each time the anchor is retrieved has resulted in deep rust all but destroying the current casing.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).