ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:11 pm Liking this more and more. Love watching this come together.
Me too! :D

I'm still aiming for a penetrating oil timber finish inside and out of Feather Pram. Hence I don't want any epoxy glue anywhere other than in the joints of the lapstrake planking themselves, so the oil can evenly penetrate and produce a non-blotchy finish.

I'm now experimenting with applying strips of masking tape along the top and bottom of edges of both planks being joined (but obviously no masking tape on the two faces of the joint), so that glue squeeze out cannot penetrate into the planks beyond the joint prior to cleaning up.

The starboard #2 plank was glued into place this way this afternoon. The pic below was taken after initial squeeze-out was removed.

Satisfying work. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

GB, wouldn’t packing tape be better for that as the epoxy would not stick?

And while it won’t help with glue making the finish splotchy, a spoke shave or roughing scraper will make short work on any squeeze out. Combined with the tape that should leave a near perfect surface for your finish.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice build GB!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen and Jeff. :D
Jaysen wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:16 am GB, wouldn’t packing tape be better for that as the epoxy would not stick?
Agreed and thanks! Used packing tape when gluing in starboard #3 plank this arvo. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Starting to see a new boat...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks capeman. :D

It is taking me about four hours to get each plank prepared and glued in.

I start by using a sharpened block plane to progressively cut a rolling bevel along the outer edge of the in-situ plank that the current plank is to overlap approximately half an inch. It’s called a rolling bevel because the required angle changes along the boat. The previously prepared MDF plank pattern is used to check how the rolling bevel is coming along. The same approach is used for the overlapping joints at the bow and stern transoms.

Then I cut out the 1/6” okume plywood plank, again using the MDF pattern as a guide. I cut both sides of the okume plank a little proud, as okume plywood does not bend and twist exactly as the MDF pattern does. The sharpened block plane is then used to shape the okume plank so that it has fair edges to the eye, and sits just right over rolling bevel of the in-situ plank and the moulds. The new plank is then masked with packing tape on its underside, except where it is to overlap with the in- situ one, and the upper faces of the in situ and new plank are taped as in the pic below.

Thickened epoxy glue is applied to the bevelled edge of the in situ plank and the bevelled sections of the transoms, the new plank is clamped into position, and squeeze out of glue is cleaned up.

Four hours per plank may seem a long time, but the upside is that there is no fibreglass taping and fairing to follow.

Got the port #3 plank glued today, using above procedure. :D

cape man

Post by cape man »

32 hours to go!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Wow!
8O
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looking really good, sir.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks cape man, OQ and Tom. :D

Spent today on Great Sandy doing preparatory work for repairing a section of laid decking on the cockpit sole. Skinnydip is earning her keep as a tender.

Was a beautiful day out on the water, with a few of the local pirates dropping by for a yarn. :D