ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Jeff »

Really nice space GB!!! Jeff

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

Nice space, shaded too. 8)

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I like it! Very nice.
Hank

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff, Rickk and pee wee. :D

A pic of Feather Pram in the back build space which has now been painted provides scale.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

It really looks good and fits into the new building space perfectly. With what did You paint it just oil ?
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Wonderful to hear from you Karl. :D

Any boating adventures recently or planned with the kids or grand kids?

With the limited spaces at our new digs, I've been recalling you builds in a smallish space. How large and high was it?

Feather Pram is still virgin okume marine plywood. I've yet to decide if I'll oil or varnish her.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

She looks good in her new space GB. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I would just use oil like line seed oil 3 to 4 times always with a drying time of 2 weeks in between. It becomes really water resistent and has the advantage that it looks perfect because it lets the grain of the oukume come out more. The disadvantage is that one should do it every year again. My building shed for the Adelie 14 is 2,60 m wide and 7 m long and 2,20 m high. It is comparable to where you have your featherpram. It is really good that you do not need a roof with your perfect climate in Australia.
Yes I have planned my first sail in the middle of May with whoever wants to come along from the family, but I will also sail by myself this year quite often. Before the first sail I just need to make my additional hatch near the mast so that I can walk right up to the mast partner for handling the lines and attach or remove the batten parrels. I have seen this from Salvatore who built his Adelie in Sydney and is sailing it already for a couple of years. The two of us have the same problem we are not very tall and then with short arms one cannot reach to the mast from the companionway except by lying on deck like a beached whale. and therefore the build of a hatch which makes a walk through to the mast possible. First I had to remove a Magnolia bush in front of my carport which made pulling out the trailer with boat akward because it was just possible but the twigs started tu scratch the side of the boat. Because this bush was 25 years there I battled to cut it away but on Saturday I finished it at last and today I can pull out the boat to be able to work on the deck which is not possible in the carport with 20 cm distance deck to roof.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the informative and detailed response Karl. Life sounds full and interesting on your side of the pond. Please keep the posts coming.

Memories prompted by your post is motivating me to search out a bottle of a Domane Wacau Reisling. :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Pic taken rowing away from Great Sandy this afternoon after delivering tools and materials to her for annual maintenance.

I'm starting a two week annual maintenance blitz on her tomorrow. Will post pics. :D