ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful photo of Great Sandy and the background is not too bad either!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB I always like that picture of Great Sandy, she is such a regal sailing lady. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff and Tom. :D

Today was the first day of a 2 week Great Sandy 2021 maintenance blitz on her buoy mooring in Noosa. As expected, on arrival, she was covered in bird shit.

So I started cleaning it off with a scrubbing brush lubricated and flushed by the saltwater deck wash pump. Was making progress, then the deck wash ran dry. After trouble shooting, a bivalve over the deck wash was punctured, and bird poo removal could continue.

In the background I had the inboard diesel engine running, to recharge the house batteries. Suddenly the engine alarm started screaming. The engine was getting hot. Sure enough, a bivalve over the engine raw water intake. More time out. Eventually I got most of the bird shit cleaned of the decks and shade structures.

A typical first day for Great Sandy's annual on water maintenance before hauling her out for antifouling, drive train maintenance etc. I enjoyed every minute of it. It was a beautiful sunny Noosa autumn day out on the water. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Seeing the before and after like that makes me feel a lot better about the job I’m doing on my old boat. I always feel that it “not really clean” and that I should be trying to make it look freshly painted. Thank you for kicking my behind back to sanity.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

When are you going?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow GB, that looked terrible!! Have you thought about covers? Nice clean-up!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB she looks pretttttyyyyyyy.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Raining here in Noosa today, so this afternoon I worked down below in Great Sandy, changing her diesel engine's oil and oil filter.

Thanks Jaysen, Tom and Jeff.

Cape Man, we'll not be cruising north to Great Barrier reef waters until after we've received our second Covid 19 vaccine jabs in Noosa in mid July. We'll probably duck down to The Boat Works on the Gold Coast for a haul out and anti foul before then.

The state of the Noosa Bar is still problematic, and will influence our departure timing. The link below shows the bar's condition on April 24th. OK for tinnies and jet skis, but a challenge for a 44' monohull sailboat like Great Sandy.

https://youtu.be/LTeqC1DxJQM
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Looking at the video it sure looks like getting out could be a trick. That being said how about getting back in? I would think that will be even tougher and it would not take much bar change for you to be closed out :help:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Yeah... I think that's a hard no for me. Is it even deep enough to get a keeled boat out of there?

Although I think you mentioned the Great Sandy is a center boarder. That would almost be a requirement in your part of the world.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.