ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Jaysen »

Not to detract from the stories of deflowering of our members...

GB, assuming a scale of "100% == I don't have a motor in the boat"; what percentage of time is pure sailing vs motor sailing? What is the primary driver for motor sailing? Asking for a wife. :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:34 am Not to detract from the stories of deflowering of our members...

GB, assuming a scale of "100% == I don't have a motor in the boat"; what percentage of time is pure sailing vs motor sailing? What is the primary driver for motor sailing? Asking for a wife. :)
Jaysen won't try to answer your question to GB. But most small sail boats I have been on and seen use a small kicker like this Yamaha High Thrust https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/ ... cs-compare and mount it on one of these lifts to keep it out of the water when sailing, https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Engine-Outb ... de=3397841

I would recommend the 25" shaft Yamaha and if necessary build out the lift so you can tilt the motor totally out of the water. You want the prop below the transom line on a sail boat by 4-6" so it is out of disrupted water flow.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

On lil bit more we are using a merc 9.9 (jetted for 15) long shaft. Once we get the motor back we will be deciding on prop change or carb change. I’m pretty sure I’ll be going down a size in prop bit my previous issues may not exist once the motor is running right.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

glossieblack wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:20 am Thanks cape man and Barra Man.
Today mtor-sailed 65 nautical miles from Pancake Creek north-west, with the wind on the nose all the way, to Great Keppel Island, the scene, if I remember correctly, of Barra Man's honeymoon deflowering when he was but a sallow youth. 8O
Lee, please re-tell the check-in story, it's a beaut. :D
When I read this thread, I spat my coffee all over my computer! :help:

I have been accused of 'thread drift' before, so lets be clear, this one is down to you Michael! :lol: In late January 1977, I landed this on the airstrip you can see in the above picture, in the company of a delightful young woman.

That's a classic Beechcraft V-tail Bonanza, otherwise known as a 'Fork-tailed Dr Killer' because of its involvement in the demise of many who use that honorific - plus Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper and Ricky Valance! As a veterinarian with a PhD, I felt that I was 'throwing down the gaunlet' as it were, every time I flew it!

I walked into reception:-
Me: I just flew in!
Reception: Good morning Sir, what's your Landing Authorisation Number?
Me: My what? 8O
Reception: Your Landing Authorisation Number!
Me: I don't have one of those!
Reception: You can't land here without a Landing Authorisation Number.
Me: Yes you can - I just did!
Reception: Sir you should have rung us to get a Landing Authorisation Number!
Me: OK sorry. If you give me one now I'll go take off and land again.
Reception: That won't be necessary sir!

Back in the day, Great Keppel was known as the party island. Their advertising slogan was, "Get wrecked on Great Keppel Island"! You could buy T-shirt which said, "I've been wrecked on Great Keppel Island"!

To correct the more 'delicate' part of Michael's post, I was not on my honeymoon, but I was engaged to my companion - so more of a pre-honeymoon! :D

Anyhow, the weekend must have been a success because we married later that year, and 44 years and two strapping sons later the relationship is still going strong! :lol:

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

this thread is all about the drift. :lol:
great story!
BarraMan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:19 pm
glossieblack wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:20 am Thanks cape man and Barra Man.
Today mtor-sailed 65 nautical miles from Pancake Creek north-west, with the wind on the nose all the way, to Great Keppel Island, the scene, if I remember correctly, of Barra Man's honeymoon deflowering when he was but a sallow youth. 8O
Lee, please re-tell the check-in story, it's a beaut. :D
When I read this thread, I spat my coffee all over my computer! :help:

I have been accused of 'thread drift' before, so lets be clear, this one is down to you Michael! :lol: In late January 1977, I landed this on the airstrip you can see in the above picture, in the company of a delightful young woman.

That's a classic Beechcraft V-tail Bonanza, otherwise known as a 'Fork-tailed Dr Killer' because of its involvement in the demise of many who use that honorific - plus Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper and Ricky Valance! As a veterinarian with a PhD, I felt that I was 'throwing down the gaunlet' as it were, every time I flew it!

I walked into reception:-
Me: I just flew in!
Reception: Good morning Sir, what's your Landing Authorisation Number?
Me: My what? 8O
Reception: Your Landing Authorisation Number!
Me: I don't have one of those!
Reception: You can't land here without a Landing Authorisation Number.
Me: Yes you can - I just did!
Reception: Sir you should have rung us to get a Landing Authorisation Number!
Me: OK sorry. If you give me one now I'll go take off and land again.
Reception: That won't be necessary sir!

Back in the day, Great Keppel was known as the party island. Their advertising slogan was, "Get wrecked on Great Keppel Island"! You could buy T-shirt which said, "I've been wrecked on Great Keppel Island"!

To correct the more 'delicate' part of Michael's post, I was not on my honeymoon, but I was engaged to my companion - so more of a pre-honeymoon! :D

Anyhow, the weekend must have been a success because we married later that year, and 44 years and two strapping sons later the relationship is still going strong! :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the interest and laughs Jaysen, Tom, Lee and jonnymac. :D
Jaysen wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:34 am GB, assuming a scale of "100% == I don't have a motor in the boat"; what percentage of time is pure sailing vs motor sailing? What is the primary driver for motor sailing? Asking for a wife. :)
For team Great Sandy, there are two parts to our approach to blue water cruising: passaging to and from cruising hot-spots; and cruising within them. For us, cruising hot-spots are those special areas where there is nearly always a day-sail on offer, and a snug anchorage afterwards, no matter where the wind is blowing from. Wake up, get the weather forecast, and decide where you’re going to sail to. From Noosa, there are three such hot-spots available along the east coast of Australia: the Whitsundays, some 500 nautical miles to our north; Sydney regional waters, some 500 nm to our south; and Tasmanian south-east coastal waters, some 1100 nms to our south. Within the sailing hotspots, where we try to spend months at a time, we sail approx 70% of the time, motor sail approx 20%, and motor 10%. Getting to and from the hot-spots, for bar crossing and available safe anchorage considerations, we’ve learnt the hard way we need to motor sail approx 70% of the time, sail approx 20%, and motor approx 10%.

Today sailed and motor sailed some 50 nautical miles north from Great Keppel Island to Port Clinton, in order to ride out a heavy blow heading our way. First pic is a Clinton overview, the second our approach, and the third the at-anchor sundowner view.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Well the anticipated heavy blow turned out to be gale force through last night and early this morning - 35 knots gusting to 45 knots.

Port Clinton provided sufficient shelter to allow a reasonable nights sleep, but I periodically checked we weren't dragging.

It was reassuring knowing Great Sandy's ground tackle has an over-sized anchor with new chain and shackles. And I didn't leave any of her 80 metres of chain in the locker. :wink:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Yes Michael, we copped that wind all the way up here last night. It set off the alarm in the boat in the wee small hours of the morning - undoubtedly making me really popular with my neighbours! 8O

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dang GB I bet that was a rough ride also, though you said you were protected in the harbor you were in. Those winds would have measured 40-50mph here. Glad all is well. Well you have to wait for the seas to calm for the next leg of your holiday.

We had our own little Great Plains storm roll through Monday night as we are out in the cabin on the Mississippi River in Iowa. A nasty high wind, lightning thunder and rain storm for about 4 hours. Our winds were only up to about 30mph but they brought some tree limbs down in our yard toward the river. We will just let the river float them out when it floods next spring . :lol:

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Tom, Like you, we were wondering how long we would have to wait for the seas to settle down.

After staying put yesterday, this morning we departed Port Clinton hoping conditions would be ok for a 50 nautical mile NW passage to Middle Percy Island. If conditions were too uncomfortable, we'd duck for cover into Island Head Creek, some 10 nautical miles north of Clinton.

We're now anchored Island Head Creek (Lat 22.23.80 S, Lng 150.39.04 E), pic below. It's a snug all weather anchorage the equal to Clinton.

By tomorrow things should have calmed down sufficiently to passage to Middle Percy.