ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by TomW1 »

They all 3 look pretty spiffy there GB.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Sorry no fly on that one Glossie. No work boat looks as slick as Great Sandy and SkinnyDip on their worst day. :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Tom. :D
Fuzz wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:02 am Sorry no fly on that one Glossie. No work boat looks as slick as Great Sandy and SkinnyDip on their worst day. :D
Fuzz, On their worst day, no Bristol Bronze yacht or motor boat looks as rough around the edges as Skinnydip, Great Sandy, or their tenders.

So a question to all those who strive, like I do, to build and maintain boats to a standard roughly half way between Bristol Bronze yacht finish and workboat finish.

How best to describe such a level?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

My level.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Well captured cape man. :D

I've been lying low these past few days to allow a re-flaring of an old lower back injury to settle down. This morning I awoke feeling the worst had passed, so I gingerly started preparatory works to realign the bunks on Skinnydip's new trailer.

As purchased, the bunks were running from the aft end of the trailer forward - first pic.

Given Skinnydip's flat-bottomed box keel, she needs bunks running side to side on the trailer. So today, I removed the bunks, and rotated the bunk seating brackets 90 degrees, suitable for side to side bunks - second pic.

If the back feels up to it tomorrow, four new traverse bunks will be cut from the current fore-aft two.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Sorry to hear about the back GB. Was wondering about you. I have one of those from my time in the Nave and those dang steel decks and 4 on 4 off watches every 6 months., spent time in the hospital and at home on bed rest twice You take care of yourself! Got to take that cruise on Great Sandy. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Tom, I think I'm over the crook back hump for time being, and once we've received our second COVID 19 jab in mid July, we'll be free to go cruising in Great Sandy once Noosa bar crossing conditions are favourable. :D

The bunks have been cut to size, and are ready to be installed trailer side to side. I'll buy the required fixing hardware tomorrow.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

What brand of vaccine are you getting? For me it was three weeks apart and then two weeks after the second one I had a two week wait to be good.
It will be nice for you to have a trailer for Skinnydip. It is nice to have them on land when you will not be able to check on them for a while.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice trailer GB!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Fuzz and Jeff. :D
Fuzz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:38 am What brand of vaccine are you getting? For me it was three weeks apart and then two weeks after the second one I had a two week wait to be good.
We're getting AstraZeneca jabs, produced in Australia under licence from the British-Swedish multinational biotechnology company based at Cambridge University, UK. Twelve weeks between jabs 1 and 2. Our second jabs are booked for mid July. :D

Picked up the fixing hardware for bunk re-alignment for Skinnydip's trailer today. Weather is looking good for tomorrow, my back seems healed for the time being, so stand by. :D