ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by TomW1 »

glossieblack wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:43 am Thanks Fuzz and Jeff. :D
Fuzz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:38 am What brand of vaccine are you getting? For me it was three weeks apart and then two weeks after the second one I had a two week wait to be good.
We're getting AstraZeneca jabs, produced in Australia under licence from the British-Swedish multinational biotechnology company based at Cambridge University, UK. Twelve weeks between jabs 1 and 2. Our second jabs are booked for mid July. :D

Picked up the fixing hardware for bunk re-alignment for Skinnydip's trailer today. Weather is looking good for tomorrow, my back seems healed for the time being, so stand by. :D
Congrats on the shots. Had to look up the AZ data info and was surprised by the 8-12 week wait between shots. But oh, well as long as you guys are protected. :D

Nice work on the trailer. SD will have a nice home while you are out leaving her home alone. :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Tom, the prospect of knowing Skinnydip is safe high and dry on a trailer in a secure location while we are away for months cruising Great Sandy has been a powerful motivator.

I spent today trying to work out design and construction details for DIY trailer guide posts for Skinnydip's trailer.

From previous experience with a borrowed trailer, I've learnt the hard way that Skinnydip, with her flat bottomed box keel, is difficult to load onto a matching flat bed/bunked trailer without drifting against or worse onto, one of the wheel guards. :help:

Whereas a deep V hull and matching trailer tend to be self-aligning and correcting, a flat bottomed boat with a flat bottomed/bunked trailer have no built in self alignment.

So I'm considering installing guide posts at the aft quarters of the trailer, although I have no experience of using setups with them.

Any feedback from those who do would be greatly appreciated. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

20181227_112045.jpg
20200525_123320.jpg
Same issue with a flat bottom dory. My trailer has two upright posts that are bent at the bottom, clamped to the frame, and sleeved with pvc pipe. The inside of the fenders are covered with thick carpet. I try and get the trailer as far in the water as I can, and go as slow as possible when loading. Using the wench instead of the motor to pull her onto the trailer is also good, especially when there's a cross wind or current. I can move the transom to either side to center it when I'm out of the water with two people, but she's probably much lighter than Skinnydip.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Most of the time my loading conditions are less than ideal so I have side boards on my trailers. Makes life a heck of a lot easier.
I like them long enough and tough enough so all you have to do is get the bow in the hole and then drive it home. :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Been a while since I posted pictures. These should be easier to see.
Some of the places I load the dory have a ton of current. You have to be almost on step when you turn out of the current and onto the trailer. No matter what you are going to bang around some getting on the trailer. The side boards hold the boat on the trailer while you pull it out.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I was going to go snap a pic of those exact things (but I was not willing to fly back to the freezer to get pics of yours and my neighbor’s boats are all oddly “not here”).

We have massive cross currents at all the ramps and lots of flat bottom boats. All of the trailers for flat and shallow V hulls use those side boards. Seems they load a lot faster than the folks with just the vertical guides.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
As I need the guiding poles only when I get the boat out of the water I made them removable so they are again in the cars boot when I trailor the boat home. I just stick the smaller aluminium square tube with its vertical plastic pipe into the permanently mounted aluminium traverse and put a bolt through both which I lock with a clevis pin underneath. This construction is rather wobbly because the corner connection is just a mild steel angle from a window sill flower bed holder but serves my purpose on a flat lake well because I can adjust the boat minimally floating between the poles by hand. If you need in rougher conditions a strong guidance I would suggest you make it like Fuzz mentioned with boards. I have seen my construction on other trailors already with a small rubber wheel on each vertical pole and the boat will sort of roll onto the trailer not only by the wheels underneath but also from the sides.

Here is a closeup of the port side with the small ss bolt through the aluminium squares and the clevis pin hanging underneath which I also need to change to stainless steel because it is rusting after one season.

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Karl!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Many thanks cape man, Fuzz, Jaysen, Karl and Jeff for the wealth of real world advice. Gotta love this forum. :D

I've ordered a pair of C.E. Smith heavy duty trailer guide posts from Amazon Australia. From cape man's pic, I suspect they're the same as his.

If posts prove to be insufficient, I'll augment them with side bunks.

Thanks again all. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

The C.E. Smith trailer guideposts arrived via courier late this afternoon. I'm looking forward to fitting them tomorrow! :D