ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Jaysen »

Is this a composite on timber frame or a true stitch and glue?

My next toy has me driving Jeff nuts with timber specification for the frames. There are not molds though. Hence my question.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:35 am Is this a composite on timber frame or a true stitch and glue?
Neither. It's clinker ply, cabosil thickened epoxy glued joints, no stitching, no glassing, no epoxy fillers. She'll be bright finished internally and on bow and stern transoms. Exterior clinker planking will be painted white, as she'll be stowed keel up on Great Sandy's foredeck when cruising.

See short clip of Feather Pram build: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94VyywONzNQ [/youtube]
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Got a bit lucky today.

I can't get 1/6" okoume ply for the Feather Pram planking for another 3 to 4 weeks, courtesy of COVID 19. But I discovered a friend has one sheet of 1/5".

I'd wanted to build the bow and stern transoms with 1/6", reinforced by an approx. 2/3" deep by 1' wide ring beam around. I can now proceed substituting the 1/5" for the 1/6", with but small overall weight penalty.

Still 40 lbs max weight all up despite COVID 19 disruption, or humiliating failure. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Will one sheet build the hull completely?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

glossieblack wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:41 am Still 40 lbs max weight all up despite COVID 19 disruption, or humiliating failure.
Reminds me of the movie "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson, him trying to build that light weight "Windsor" chair every time you mention the weight.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

GB I am amazed you have the energy to start another project so soon. It will be great to see this one come together.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Close to three sheets cape man. And that's without rework due to mistakes. Unfortunately, my middle name is mistakes. :roll:

OQ and Fuzz, I've got the motivation and energy to build a 40lb tender, because with recent clampdowns on tender storage on Noosa's public foreshores, unless I do, it's going to get too hard to access Great Sandy on her mooring or Skinnydip on her pick.

As I approach my mid 70s, I need to be able to car top, load/unload, and carry/wheel an ultralight 2 person tender to access my two mistresses. :D .

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Well that sounds like a darn good reason to build a light weight skiff.
A ton of us will be watching to see how this one turns out. But we know it will be nice :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Fuzz. :D

This morning I was feeling hemmed in and more than a little depressed by COVID-19 restrictions and uncertainty.

So I rowed out to Skinnydip and poked up the river to Boreen Point and back down again. Wonderful. :D

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

glossieblack wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:04 am Thanks Fuzz. :D

This morning I was feeling hemmed in and more than a little depressed by COVID-19 restrictions and uncertainty.

So I rowed out to Skinnydip and poked up the river to Boreen Point and back down again. Wonderful. :D

I have agree with you Michael, it’s a wonderful part of the world.