ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

For an hour or so these past few days, I've been trying to bring Great Sandy's RIB tender topsides back to near new condition. After nearly 10 years of 24/7/365 exposure to the elements, it's a big ask.

Not there yet, but pleasantly surprised at progress to date. :D

Last edited by glossieblack on Sun May 23, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Don't let the pram see all that attention you are giving to that store-bought tender! :lol:

Picture is too dark to see what you are talking about, but I'm sure it is significantly better than when you started.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB she looks great, nice and clean. Hope you don't mind put her picture in your post. cape man she looks better now nice and grey.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Nice GB, glad to be back to boat talk. :D
Hard to control thread drift - but for the record, the originator of this thread triggered the latest thread drift! 8O
glossieblack wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:50 am Lee, what anti-theft gadgets do use for FBBB on her trailer?
And more generally, what do forum participants do to protect their pride and joy on trailers in public places?
Last edited by BarraMan on Mon May 24, 2021 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

I spent this arvo doing annual connection checks on Great Sandy's electrical systems. As has been the case year after year, a few were loose, the result I suspect of passaging under diesel power, and hence vibration.

It was nice out on the water today. Pity the snap of Great Sandy and Skinnydip aint got a horizontal waterline though.

I lack the skills to rectify, so if anybody knows how to, please do so and repost ..... I like da look of the two girls from this angle. :wink:

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I think this is what you requested.

My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:46 am I think this is what you requested.

Thankyou Jaysen! :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work on the RIB GB!!! Looks great for her years!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

They do look nice sitting next to each other. Similar lines for sure.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff and cape man. :D

Sealed the mostly cleaned surface of Great Sandy's RIB tender this afternoon with Aerospace Protectant 303 (great non silicon-based product), after multiple cycles of cleaning with bi-carb solution.

From a metre it looks great. Closer up, you can still see dirty spots. Like Great Sandy herself :wink:

Consistent work boat finish. :lol: