ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by cape man »

Nice adjustment!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

That is a beauty GB!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks cape man and Jeff. :D

Mid afternoon the sky turned dark blue grey, and a forecasted severe storm was clearly imminent. So I've pulled the pin on gluing in port #5 plank today.

I've just about finished fine tuning the shape and fit of port #5. The pic shows how the wooden clamps and wedges assist the trial and error dry fitting process.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Skinny Dip is moored safely? :help:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Step by step you are making progress :D Is there any chance we can get a photo from the side also?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

[/quote]
cape man wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:05 am Skinny Dip is moored safely? :help:
I went to let out more chain from her the morning the two day storm was heading our way, only to find some bastard had stolen the oars from Great Sandy's RIB tender I store on the bank to get to Skinnydip. So I swam out to her, hauled my aging arse over the side, and let out an extra 20' of chain. With a total of 40' plus out in 5-7' feet of water, and a 35lb Manson Supreme anchor, she'd ride out a cyclone. I slept well through both nights of wild storms, and checked her this morning. Looking happy as though nothing happened. :D '
Fuzz wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:02 pm Step by step you are making progress :D Is there any chance we can get a photo from the side also?
First pic is of completed starboard planking #1 to #5. Second pic, taken this afternoon, is of port #5 plank glued in.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Just beautiful,
From the side I can see exactly how your temporary frames are mounted and it gives me advise for the MI Bateau Boat plan which I have not completely discarded yet because my six sheets of 4 mm top quality Okoume plywood are waiting in the loft of my house already very long.
Build on and show us sailors who are condemned to Winter hibernation that there is progress on your side in sunny boat building weather.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

cape man

Post by cape man »

I went to let out more chain from her the morning the two day storm was heading our way, only to find some bastard had stolen the oars from Great Sandy's RIB tender I store on the bank to get to Skinnydip.
That's what keel hauling is for!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

It well and truly sucks that you guys have the same problems as the rest of us. As CapeMan says keel hauling is too good for them.
Thanks for the side view picture. This gives a better perspective of your project. This is great to see how it is done.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Karl, hope you proceed with MI 12. If I could figure out how to build one using glued plywood lapstrake like Feather Pram, but with rounded chine/soft bilges instead of MI 12's flat bottom and hard chine, I'd be in.

Agree cape man and Fuzz re keel hauling. I've advised a certain person that the oars need to re-appear. :?

Eleven planks done on Feather Pram, four to go. :D