ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks CpnCrunch. It's a satisfying way to build a small boat. :D

And thanks for your earlier comments Fuzz, Jeff and OQ. :D

Her shell weighs just under 21 lbs. Well called cape man and jonnymac.

Will be closer to 20lbs when her bow and stern transoms are trimmed down to their gracious designed curves.

I'm hoping that I can use a heat gun and scraper to clean up the internal epoxy joints.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Say it ain't so............an epoxy drip :help: Need photos or it did not happen :D

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Not only a good looking boat but amazing of the light weight. Very nice.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man

Post by cape man »

Oh hell yes! Good luck on the heat gun/scraper idea. Her lines are very nice. You should be able to make the 40lb or less goal with ease.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very nice GB!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Beautiful little boat GB, I have been watching, but hard to type one handed after right shoulder replacement and thumb surgery two weeks ago. Really as always admire your craftsman ship.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Fuzz, OQ, cape man, Jeff and Tom. :D

I've been cleaning up the epoxy glue squeeze out along the overlapping joints of the planks, using a heat gun and a sharp chisel. It's going well. At the same time, I've been pondering how to fit her out.

Ian Oughtred's plans call for solid timber thwarts and floor boards.

I want to build her as light as possible, to increase the times I'll car-top her to row to and from Skinnydip and Great Sandy.

For the thwarts I'm thinking 4mm okume plywood skins glued both sides of a ladder frame of 1/2" square cedar, and for the floorboards 4mm okume plywood skins both sides of an okume 4mm ladder frame. Comment appreciated.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Instead of 1/2" cedar, would you save even more weight making a grid of 1/2" 4mm okume spaced 2 - 4" apart as the internal structure?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

As always, masterfully done! :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks cape man and Barry. :D

Received an interesting call from a local legendary surfboard artisan, who unbeknown to me, has been a long term follower of this build thread. Small world.

He suggests that the lightest thwarts consistent with Feather Pram's aesthetic will be vacuum bagged 3-4mm okume skins over foam. He's invited me over to his shop to discus further over a bottle of red.

As I'm occasionally thirsty in the afternoon T, I'll bring one too. :wink: