P19 build in Alberta

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: P19 build in Alberta

Post by Fonda@kauai »

With either product you'll have to sand the existing epoxy first. Something in the 220 range I would guess.
Aloha

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Can the varnish adhere to a side that is fully saturated with epoxy?
A good clear coat such as EMC will be much better than varnish and take less coats, and less sanding between coats.
With either product you'll have to sand the existing epoxy first. Something in the 220 range I would guess.
Yes, you always have to sand :help:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Yes, you always have to sand :help:
Tell me about it :lol: I've sanded enough for two lifetimes :?
Aloha

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

Made some progress yesterday, we managed to install the brains, spray rails and the skeg. For the rubrails we used some nice doug fir 1x2s joined together at the stern, to avoid having a sharp join near the bow. The spray rails were really easy to install with some 1 1/4 inch screws, they also have a join, but it's near the front and actually turned out quite well. The keg is just a standard 2x2 there is a slight curve near the front, but I the mighty plane should make short work of that. I brought the keg all the way to the back of the hull since our outboard will be mounted on a bracket, so turbulence caused by the keg shouldn't be an issue. I also did a quick sketch of my pilothouse idea based of of one of JoeH's images of his boat (his windshield and flags are visible). I plan to also add a nice curved coaming coming off the pilothouse encircling the cockpit for a nice visual effect.
GV11, several rowboats, P19 in progress

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Does anyone else who's built a P19 know what the finished weight range is with engine? is it under 3000lbs? also what kind of speed does the boat get with a 90HP engine.
I have a Yamaha 2 stroke 90hp on my P19 and the estimated weight is 2400 lbs, 34 mph.
A good clear coat such as EMC will be much better than varnish and take less coats, and less sanding between coats.
I know nothing about EMC but I know Larry’s right about coats, 5 or 6 coats of a UV inhibitor Varnish, I do love my varnish!

Keep the pictures coming!

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

With regard to the weight: I did not finish mine as completely as Joe H, but I did have a complete pilot house. I came in just under 2400 lbs with a 368 lb motor on the back and every thing dry. I measured 2950 on the scales when sitting on my aluminum trailer. Top speed the same. Staying under 3000lbs should be no problem, even with a bracket.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yes, sand it to with 180 paper. Then coat it with EMC Clear coat. You can buy ii buy it by the quart. The EMC will last a lot longer than a spar varnish. The EMC will last 3 times longer than the best spar varnish at only double the cost. Good luck.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

So we finally made some progress! We also managed to wrangle our winter dinghy project out of the basement (with an inch to spare) and slapped some navy blue on the sides of our P19. As is obvious, the P19 won't look like it popped out of a mould; however, the blue makes it look nice, and we can live with the little fairing mistakes here and there. More importantly, the bottom is smooth and level, our keg is in place, and now we just need to apply our layer of epoxy graphite before installing the bow-eye etc and flipping. One thing we've realized is that we're slowly accumulating a navy blue fleet :lol: since our GV11 is navy, the P19 is navy, and we could only source navy blue for our dinghy as well.

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

Nice to see another P19 coming together. I have not been keeping up the the forum lately so I had a lot of posts to catch up on. One I thing that should warn you about is the tendency of the P19 to weather-vane in any wind. All of the windage is at the front of the boat and the motor puts the equivalent of a dagger board into the water in the rear. Joe H reduced the problem by eliminating the pilot house almost entirely. You may get some help from a bit longer skeg than I used; but the motor is even further back. There are times when I am forced to let the cabin drift down-wind and back into a slip. For awhile I considered adding to the length of the skeg, but decided it would not make enough difference to warrant taking a grinder to my hull.

That said, this is the 8th summer we have used the P19 on the island in Maine and am glad we have it. The boat has opened up many enjoyable days visiting the other islands and touring friends and relatives about. Best luck finishing the effort and for many happy days driving it.

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

Hey all, so we finally launched our build, sorry for the lack of photos lately, but I'll be posting lots in the next coming while. Performance is very good with the 115, it'll get to 38/39 mph at full blast. I am really happy with the extended pilothouse, the interior is very roomy. Next summer we'll get the upholstery done and I'll continue wiring in camping gadgets here and there. The windows I made from plexiglass and I found a pretty straightforward way of making them, so if anyone is wondering about how to make them I can send a detailed process sheet. All in all we're ecstatic with how it turned out and can't wait to continue building it up.