Midstream GT23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Midstream GT23

Post by BB Sig »

My first build post is not about actually building a boat. It is more about the background, the future and the plan.

The true beginnings of this build:
http://houseboatbuilder.blogspot.com/20 ... nning.html
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7639

The hull started to take shape in Iowa. The previous Skipper (Iowa Boy Greg) and his Gilligan (OzzyC) started the build and over came many obstacles from moving to ex-wife boat blocking to just plain life. With the unexpected passing of a loving husband and a best friend, OzzyC was asked, with a heavy heart, to sell the hull to make room in the garage. I imagine this was a hard step for everyone involved. OzzyC was hoping that someone would continue on. This is where we start my part in this build:

I've been on the water most of my life. My father was highly into fishing and always had a boat to pull us on skis or to cast a line in the water. He even owned a couple of fishing lure companies. My stepdad had a Hobie-Cat that we used on Lake Jackson or down at St. George Island. Life seemed to get in the way and the boats slid out of the picture for both men. That led me to an NJROTC unit in high school that had a fleet of vessels. They still have a US Navy sailboat along with 30 or 40 other boats.

As life went on, my desire to own a boat increased. The Marine Corps, marriage, kids, divorce, rebuilding myself, college and finally another marriage seemed to always keep the dream out of range but burning brighter with every turn. I had seen an article about a man (I assume stickystuff) that built an XF20 in Florida. The article mentioned a strange company called Bateau. I ordered some samples of a material called Nidacore and I have been hooked for a couple of years on the idea of building my own boat. Luckily, the best wife in the world (just in case she ever reads this) promised me it would become a reality. That's right, a wife that encourages this crazy line of thinking! :wink:

I have been really amazed with the variety of boats Jacques has designed. I've flipped between several designs over the years with the FS18, SC16 and now the FS13 holding my interest since I have been enjoying fly fishing the last few years. I've also kicked around the idea of one of PC22/24 but was not satisfied that it could take on some of the waters around the panhandle of Florida. When OzzyC posted the GT23 for sale originally, I knew it was too high after we just bought a house so I didn't mention it too the wife. After a few months of it sitting there the price was lowered and I had to call to ensure it wasn't a mistake. OzzyC assured me that it was correct and I told him I wanted it but had to talk with the accountant (wife). We prayed about it over night and she came back and said she was okay with it. And so it begins. :o

The one draw back to this purchase is that I am in Florida and the boat is in Iowa. So to start off my part of this build, I now post my first picture, the trip planning stage!

I have a few ideas for completing the build but I want to get it back and measure things out before I post my ideas. One idea I will share is my proposed name of the boat, Midstream. My wife doesn't know this so it is subject to change.... :lol:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Midstream GT23

Post by Cracker Larry »

Very cool, all the way 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I'll be following this thread for sure, it's a very good thing.

Dougster

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Great story and it will only get better.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Cool and good luck finishing her.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Great to read a happy ending story in the making! Good luck with your build.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Congrats, and best wishes for an uneventful "bringin' 'er home" trip.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

I asked my Dad and brother along for the ride and they asked to have a planning party. :roll: "Sit back and enjoy the ride was my ride" was my response. :lol: In all fairness, I don't usually make plans but figured for a long trip that will encounter varied weather with a trailer that had not moved in a while, I might want to make some plans... :? I am looking forward to the adventure as well as the road trip. The three of us have not ever taken a road trip like this before.

Anyone hear the joke about the IT guy, a micro-manger retiree and an accountant that took a road trip together? :help:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Anyone hear the joke about the IT guy, a micro-manger retiree and an accountant that took a road trip together?
No, please share :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Give more 6 days to see what the punch line turns out to be. :wink: