Midstream GT23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Midstream GT23

Post by BB Sig »

Bump

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

What we see there looks like putty, no problem. The problem may be with the bracket itself. I worked for a major US boat manufacturer that, for a while, installed Gil brackets. They were made of fiberglass. They failed in great numbers. We literally had a pile of maybe 50 Gil brackets in a field behind the factory. Gil went under due to the warranty cases. For a short while, they tried an Al version. If you have an aluminum one, it may be better but the fiberglass ones were bad.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

It's Al. :D What do you seal the bracket to the transom with? I am guessing some sort of putty based on your post. Will that material seal the corroded areas such as in the second picture?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I wonder why it is corroded. I hope there wasn't electrolysis.
Make certain that it is grounded and that Al is prepped for the sealant:
- etched and chromate primer. See the specs at the link below.
I like this sealant/adhesive better than 5200:
http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... _Cartridge

BTW, all that prep is mostly for a better bond. You use it as a sealant but the prep will limit or reduce possible electrolysis.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

That's what I was hoping you would say. I would rather have a different motor mount but at the price I got this, I'm going to use it. :D

So the wife and I spent the morning taking inventory of remaining plywood. Everything is here except the top parts of the cabin, which we don't need. I took the time to do some measurements and I think they built this as a planing hull. Keep in mind this was from 15 years ago. Were the planning hull dimensions included with the original plans? :doh: Keep in mind this was a kit boat order.

My wife even stated she might be helping me with this boat. 8) She is intrigued after helping me sort the parts. I think she is starting to see why I really wanted this boat.

I've seen it stated before that you can cut a door in the transom if you do it above the level of the motor mount bolts. What about on the sides? What sort of bracing is needed to build a dock door into the sides? My wife was having problems getting in and out today and I can only imagine my young boys.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Must be enjoyable making sense of what has gone before, and finding your way forward. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

BB Sig are you going to finish the boat to plan spec's or do you have something special planed ?
Novi 23 finally launched !

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

To answer the question about the hull shape, I have to go to the bank, get my old backups out of the safe and find the old set set of plans BUT, if the pencil figures are the stringers dimensions, then it is the planing hull.
You should have no problem with that heavy engine on a bracket. get all your weights closer to the stern than on the plans.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Thanks Jacques but no need to dig anything out. The pencil marks are my measurements of what is there. With the differences and what had been told to me by Dave, I agree that it has to be a planning hull. Since it is a kit, there is not much to change and I'll build what I have. :lol:

I've decided this will be a deck/party/fishing boat with some camping mixed in. I've got three young boys that love to have adventures and this is the perfect boat to beach for camping trips. I'm thinking of installing a freshwater tank along with the obligatory fuel tank.

I'm in between whether to buy furniture or make it. I priced having cushions made and that is out of sight! I am leaning more towards buying furniture at this point and having a couple of cushions made for the bow couch area (used to be the front deck). I have a long time before getting to that point but I'll have to draw pictures later.

I am not interested in a show boat finish, especially on the interior. I need to be function over form but still easy to clean and maintain while being functional and comfortable. The tougher the inside, the better chances of it being used more. I want to be proud of it but I want to use it.

Any ideas on bracing for passageways through the side/transom? The transom need not be a full passage way. That's part of the holdup of the drawings. I am unsure of where/how to put them. :doh:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »