Midstream GT23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Midstream GT23

Post by BB Sig »

I think that they are really close in measurement. Definitely something to keep in mind. I really want to be able to place a full size air mattress for a night if the place we are does not allow overnight camping. What thickness of plywood is used for the seats? My guess would be 6 or 9mm with 6 oz cloth.

Since the side walls on the GT23 are taller, is there a way to frame a passageway opening in the side? The little ones can scamper over the sides but the grandparents may not be able to...
Last edited by BB Sig on Mon May 16, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Use 9 mm for all the accommodations (furniture), no need for fiberglass.
Use the same seams techniques than for a console: cleats inside, light tape outside.
If you need a door, you have to brace it. I can not design it, sorry, I am late with the drafting of two plans.
It is very simple: small vertical frames made from the same 9 mm plywood, minimum 3" wide. If possible use the existing framing. If you have to bolt hinges on it, double thickness where ever the hardware goes.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Easy enough. I figured you would say 3" framing. That seems to be the standard for everything. :lol: I'll keep the door as small as possible. It's not an equipment door, just a passageway. The framing thickness is more what I needed. I'll mock up my idea and get some feedback.

As far as you designing my door, I'd rather see what else you have coming out anyways. :wink: I always feel like a kid waiting for the newest catalog to come out before Christmas when Jacques says he's got new plans. :lol:

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

So based on the 3" rule, I over engineered the door opening on the side. Looking at the cost of furniture versus the intended purpose of the boat, I decided to build the furniture based on cost, use and framing needs. By placing seat framing next to the door, I've got a lot more strength built in. I will double the side for at least 3" around the door opening in addition to the extra framing. I can always add cushions as my wife sees fit in the budget. Most likely after the first ride. :lol:

Here's a rough sketch just for layout purposes. Let me know if you see something that needs to be changed or have a better idea, fire away.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That looks good and the scantlings are what I would use.
For the door, the side panel of the benches on each side should be one piece, tied to the hull sides.
All the furniture should be part of the structure, all transversal parts tied to the sides and sole.
That will produce an egg crate type structure, light and strong.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Oh yeah, I like that 8)
Gary
GF-16 Completed

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Is that a drain hole at the level of the top of the seats?
It should be lower.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

No, that's the cleats on the gunwales. :lol: I have been looking at Peter's drains and will probably copy his. They will go under the seats to the sides. I have had to take apart too many drains to get bottle tops out so the drains could function. :roll: Straight drains with large opening seem to work best. Why not use (copy) what works... :wink:

Seats will be tied into the sole and sides. I will put the framing for the seats on top of the framing under the sole to minimize deflection of the sole. May be over kill but I don't want any issues later.

Edited to add:

Jacques,

I think I see what you are talking about now. I am not sure. That was from the plans. I didn't modify that part of the picture. I think that is for the front deck that is raised above the floor of the cabin. I will not be putting one in on the front deck. I will put in one on each side under the seat right behind the front deck.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That was the drain for the bow cockpit. You don't need it.

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

check out this website for material to make cushions etc..............

http://www.sailrite.com/