Midstream GT23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Midstream GT23

Post by glossieblack »

Yep, nice. 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OzzyC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OzzyC »

Hey man,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope all is well now. I also hope that you're safe from the crappy weather.

Believe me, I understand that life gets in the way. Just hope that one day this boat is finished. It's been 12 years since the project started. Sigh.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

So two houses later and 3 boat moves, I still haven't touched it again. Been busy at our new place putting up fence. I've got a 1/4 mile of fencing put up and still have more to go...

[Image]

The new place has a 24 x 30 polebarn. No power! I'm going to rent a trencher and run power to a lot of places all at once. The polebarn is 250' from my breaker box. I'm going to run 60 amps for the camper that my wife eventually wants out there and some power for boat work.

I'm guessing it will be another year until I can start back on this old but not forgotten build!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Looks like those dogs have plenty of room to stretch their legs!
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Welcome back BB!!!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I think I found it! I have been trying to figure out what happened to this build.

Best of luck Barry.

Set small goals every week.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

BB Sig wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:54 pm Didn't get to work on the boat yesterday but laid the first fiberglass and epoxy today. I used medium hardener and think I should have used slow. After a few minutes I could feel it kicking off so I poured it out and kept using it. Turned out good. There were 6 pieces in the first area and then I laid another six pieces in the next area over.

The bottom corner has 6 pieces of biax meeting up. It absorbed more epoxy than I thought it would! :help:

Let me know if you see anything I need to do different. I'd rather learn early in this and not have to tear apart more than a couple of joints! :?
I realize I am replying to a very old post. But the tapes in the picture are supposed to overlap; not meet. The reason this is important is the bottom tapes must go all the way along the chine or you can edge crack where no tape is and the boat will develop a leak there.

Not trying to bust anyone's balls on a 3 year old picture. Jist trying to help. Dan

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

No ball busting... They do overlap. The sides overlap the bottom. The bottom overlaps the other sides. I cut the middle where the side meets the bottom so that they then fold onto each other. Makes for 6 or so layers at the same spot. :wink:

I'm not the best laminater ( is that a word?) but I know what to do for the most part and follow the plans instructions very closely. The times I want to vary, I've asked before proceeding! :D

Just need electricity and time to start working on it again! :wink:

Edited to add I see which one you are talking about. That was a second layer over what was already there. It's actually got an old layer or two from the previous builder. I provided a little extra due to only one layer of fiberglass on the bottom and to give it some extra stiffness. Jacques commented on that in another thread.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am mostly hoping to see some action on the build. I sort of like the GT23.

I have this dream of trailering a boat to Lake of the Woods or Nipigon and sleeping and fishing on it.