Cvincent's PH18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Cvincent's PH18

Post by MarkOrge »

HI CV. The inserts for the transom bolts need to be a non compressible material. I used structural resin. When I flipped the hull I had the outer skin done to the paint ready stage. On the inside bare foam. So I then drilled pilot holes where my 4 engine bolts go. One needs to ensure these holes are square to the transom - both ways. The i used a 2" hole saw from the inside and stopped when the hole saw came up against the underside of the outer skin, where it meets the foam. So then I had a 2"hole in the foam but pilot holes only in the outer skin. Then I filled the 2"hole with structural resin. I forget the brand we use here from Bateau but West System Six10 in the caulking tube is easy to get in the hole - you do NOT want any voids. It is thick enough to wipe flat and even with the inside surface of the transom foam after slightly overfilling. A quick sand may be needed later. Once you have the inside skin done you just finish drilling the holes for your motor and there you go - rock solid and non compressible. Others may have better ideas but this worked for me.
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

Thank you for the explanation and advice. I will do the same and overdrill and fill will structural epoxy. It makes sense that the foam core can be compressed with a 300+ pound outboard hanging on the back end.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

I marked the BIA bolt pattern on the transom and drilled the holes for inserts. I filled the holes with thickened epoxy. The inserts will act as piers to keep the foam from compressing when the outboard is bolted to the transom. The aquaplas is very tough and the piers are extra insurance to ensure the foam does not compress when the bolts are torqued down.Thanks for the advice MarkOrge.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work on the AquaPlas cvincent!! Jeff

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

I laminated 10 layers alternating between biaxial and woven cloth fiberglass on the interior yesterday all wet on wet with staggered overlaps. I hope to tackle the interior biaxial cloth layup by next week.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

She should have one tough butt :lol:
Really good looking glass work.

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

Thank you Fuzz. I am taking the approach that if the foam transom fails then I will cut it out and install a wood cored transom. I think it should hold up just fine, it feels very strong.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice glass work, I am sure this is very strong!!! Jeff

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

I am making slow progress, baby steps. The stringers are tabbed in. I also routed out two areas near the last bulkhead for a shoot thru hull transducer and thru hull water pickup for the livewells. The circle I routed out is for the shoot thru hull transducer, this was filled in with multiple layers of glass/epoxy. The rectangular slot for the high speed pickup was filled with aquaplas high density foam. Both areas will be glassed over.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

cvincent wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:57 pm I am making slow progress, baby steps. The stringers are tabbed in. I also routed out two areas near the last bulkhead for a shoot thru hull transducer and thru hull water pickup for the livewells. The circle I routed out is for the shoot thru hull transducer, this was filled in with multiple layers of glass/epoxy. The rectangular slot for the high speed pickup was filled with aquaplas high density foam. Both areas will be glassed over.

Wow. Great work and a clean build. I get epoxy everywhere and you seem to keep it under control.

I have a question about the through hull transducer. Where it is being glued did you state you are going to glass over the epoxy plug and then glue down the transducer? Meaning it will have to shoot through glass and then the plug and then the glass and then the paint to take a reading?

Thanks!

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement