Garvey 15 (GV15) Aluminum / Aluminium

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
DAVE LUDICK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Garvey 15 (GV15) Aluminum / Aluminium

Post by DAVE LUDICK »

I followed "wegcagle's" build with great interest when I started mine. I can't sing praises high enough for this design. It is obviously purpose specific and does that perfectly. The space on this boat is unbelievable, in addition 5 of us can lift it onto the trailer. Now I am no spring chicken (76) but still find it easy to move around. I am currently fitting the bunks in their permanent position before sending the trailer in for galvanizing, I need to do some more reinforcing of the trailer and here I am taking a leaf out of the book of the Zambian fishermen who trailer their boats to some scary places. What they do and I am keen to do as well is to make the trailer wheel hubs bolt on/off, so if you have a bearing problem, and believe me you have plenty up there you just remove the hub and bolt on the replacement (flange fitting) and that way it is as quick as changing a wheel.
I would be happy to send you a picture of the boat if you can drop me a line at daveludick@bdlmultitrade.co.za. I had my computer affected by a "ransom virus" so had to have everything cleaned up and have not yet had the time to reload all my pictures.
Regards
Dave

captsomer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by captsomer »

I can't wait to see your progress with this project. I think it's a great idea. I've been eyeing several of Jacques' designs for aluminum construction. I built the PK78 in aluminum as a proof of concept and it worked out great! Good luck to you with this project.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

DAVE LUDICK wrote: What they do and I am keen to do as well is to make the trailer wheel hubs bolt on/off, so if you have a bearing problem, and believe me you have plenty up there you just remove the hub and bolt on the replacement (flange fitting) and that way it is as quick as changing a wheel.
Regards
Dave
Can you post a picture of this, thanks.

DAVE LUDICK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DAVE LUDICK »

Fuzz, as soon as I have done the mod I will post pictures. I am having some machine work done on the flanges and then will weld them to the axle and the spare hub assemblies. I am sure that axle manufacturers could offer this option at a little extra cost and make it easy to do the change in remote and extreme circumstances.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Thanks David,
I am always ready to learn how others do things. Many times it is a better way but you never know if you do not give it a look.