GF16 -- Smart Tabs???

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

Any news about the smart tabs?

jason
Hopefully fishing from my GF18

redfishla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishla »

Hi Jason. Interesting you would ask -- I JUST FINISHED a home-made set last night. I hope to take some photo's over the next day or two. They were easy to make, and while not easily adjustable, I will be able to fin-time them with spacers. It cost me nothing -- just some left over ply wood, some epoxy, and about 2 square feet of 4 oz glass.

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

Can't wait to see what you made. Hope the ride is better.

jason

rogerwa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rogerwa »

If you want firsthand testimony of the Smarttabs, go to the Iboats.com forums. A guy name NautiJohn hangs out there. I think he is the owner. Lots of people on that site have tried them with very positive results. NautiJohn will answer whatever questions you have..

nigel campion
New Poster
New Poster

Post by nigel campion »

I have just recently finished an OD16. and put a set of Smart Tabs on to see if they helped with the porpoising I was experiencing. Although they didn't completely eliminate it (nothing does) they worked far beyond my expectations the slow speed planing ability is amazing and the boat turns at speed without chine digging The size is calculated by the HP and the length of your boat to get correct Gas spring tension. They are ajustable ,easy to install and very well made in Stainless. I paid $149.99 at Bass Pro Shops on line store for the size I required. Worth every penny.

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

Nigel,

Thanks for the info. Any issues with going in reverse? Any hit on top speed? Gas spring things tend to wear out, but I suppose that's years down the road. Ever try a "hydrofoil" on your motor's ventallation plate?

jason

CarolinaMan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CarolinaMan »

As soon as you can post pictures, please do. I am very interested in the homemade tabs idea.

redfishla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishla »

My home-made trim tabs are done, I just need to sand and paint, then install. I think they'll work. I've been too swamped to install them, but I'll try to post pic's soon.

roob76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

home made trim tabs

Post by roob76 »

hey redfish did you install the trim tabs yet? if so how did they work and how did you mount them?ie straight out? tilted down slightly?

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Nigel, what size (i.e. weight and HP) engine are you using on your OD16? I'm thinking of putting a 65HP 230 to 260lbs engine on my OD16, but I'm having serious second thoughts because of the effect this might have on my boat.

I'm just not sure that a cheap big engine on that 'small' boat can be 'fixed' with trim tabs and a hydrofoil. Any advice is appreciated :P