K2FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: K2FS18

Post by peter-curacao »

[youtube]https://youtu.be/FquL0GG9RGI[/youtube]

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Yes, the SawStop works really well, (there is also now competing technology) but there is no comparable version for a miter saw, as far as I know.

Where I used to work they had an old Oliver industrial jointer, had this huge blade with no covers whatsoever. I was always real careful when I had to use it.
Safety guards get put on tools by manufacturers only after a lot of blood is shed; it makes no sense to go back in time by removing them.
Hank

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

The sawstop would have saved my step dad's thumb...and deprived the dog of a treat. That's pretty cool!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

As far as safety devices on miter saws go, the laser guide is a good one- the blade will cut where the laser light is.

If there's a line across your hand, don't cut!
Hank

poleposition
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by poleposition »

pee wee wrote:Yes, the SawStop works really well, (there is also now competing technology) but there is no comparable version for a miter saw, as far as I know.

FWIW, SawStop recently sued Bosch for patent infringement and won, so I'm not sure if/when you will be seeing this technology on any other brand.

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

How's the hand and the build progress?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

poleposition wrote:
pee wee wrote:Yes, the SawStop works really well, (there is also now competing technology) but there is no comparable version for a miter saw, as far as I know.

FWIW, SawStop recently sued Bosch for patent infringement and won, so I'm not sure if/when you will be seeing this technology on any other brand.
If anybody is interested, in the most recent Woodshop News they explained that the suit has not been settled, Bosch is fighting ahead and their saws with their safety technology are still being sold here.

Sorry for the thread detour, hope your hand heals up completely.
Hank

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 »

Well, its been 3 weeks since the ole finger was nearly decapitated; last digit middle finger left hand. Finally felt like working on the skiff again. Got the first coat of graphite epoxy down. Found a few "holidays" so I filled with quick fair. Weather is cooler so taking longer to cure out for sanding. I expect I will have all the coats of graphite epoxy laid by the end of the week. Looking forward to fairing, priming and painting the sides. With most of the interior hull work done, I feel like there is not much left.

About the finger. The Ortho doc said "well, they got it put back on reasonably straight". Hmm, it does have a little twist to the left. All the exterior stitches are out, just several of the internal stitches remain. No pain, no feeling. It is amazing how well it grows back together, you cant even tell the severity of the cut/tear.

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 »

2nd coat.

A few little fuzzies. The first coat I applied with a West Marine epoxy roller. That thing sucked. It unwrapped it self from the roller tube and left flat tire marks in the finish. This coat I used the epoxy roller from HD. Rolled out great and did not fall apart, but it left those few fuzzies.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!! Jeff