Build Progress - Panga 25

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Build Progress - Panga 25

Post by subbie95 »

:help: I can't get these panels to lay right to safety life!! Ratchet straps didn't prove to be the key, lots of foul language didn't seem to help either....so I'm pretty much settled on kerfs. Can these be cut on the outside of the bottom panels or must they be cut on the inside? I'd like to avoid removing the bottom panels if possible (I already tore the side off).

If there's a kerf plan available can some one tell me where to find it? Any help is appreciated !

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 »

Got the Kerf (thanks Fonda!), and managed to wrestle all the panels into place with the Kerfs and straps. Now I'm starting the fillet process and came up with a few questions:

1. Do I need to tool the welds on the inside of the hull as i fillet the outside? They seem to ooze through a little as I install them from the outside, so I crawled under to clean that up on the very few that I did so far.
2. How do I get the nice rounded edge on the outside of the welds? It's it critical that the edges be rounded nicely at this point or can that be accomplished later?

Trying to do the rest of the initial welds tonight so I don't have to heat the barn for weeks through an extended welding process.

Thanks for the help!

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

1. You can tool the epoxy that oozes through now, or grind it smooth after the flip. I put packing tape under the seams to hold the epoxy in and grinded and sanded them flush when I flipped.
2. After all the epoxy in the seams cures you will round the edges over with a router or sanding block.
Aloha

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 »

Boat is all spot welded and the stitching has been removed. First test of the epoxy was the release of the ratchet straps, but everything held together. The boat seems to have a little more distance between the frames and the side panel on the starboard side, but everything is straight, true and fair (verified by a thousand measurements), so we went with it. Even with the kerfs and straps, it never pulled all the way down to the frames, but I guess all of these have slightly unique bottoms based on the ply and the atmospheric conditions of that specific build. We let fairness be the first priority.

Hope to have the welding done this week.

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 »

I would attach some photos, but it seems that feature is no longer working for me. I just get the exclamation point inside the yellow triangle every time I try. I'll figure that out later. :doh:

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 »

Boat Progress Pics.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Please for the best support keep or start posting pics! US English isn't my first language I think along with me not much estrangeros will respond. post some pics and we understand and we try to help 8) :wink:

Threadfin
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Threadfin »

Excellent read for people like me who starting off on a Panga 22.I guess i maybe one of the handful of Indians to frequent this site.I am sure to get all my problems sorted out with the amount of expertise on this site.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Threadfin wrote:Excellent read for people like me who starting off on a Panga 22.I guess i maybe one of the handful of Indians to frequent this site.I am sure to get all my problems sorted out with the amount of expertise on this site.
I've spent days reading all the threads. Regardless of the boat you are building each boat and thread provides information and ideas that can be used on any build. Overwhelmed with all the ideas!

Yes, probably not too many Indians building boats on this forum.

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 »

Sanded all of the fillet's this weekend and plant to start the taping of all joints over the next couple of days. Everything is looking pretty good overall, the sides still don't touch Frames B & C, but the bottom is the right shape, fair and straight....so I'm going with it. I'll modify the frames that aren't wide enough when I flip the hull over. I guess my Panga 25 is going to have a little bit more room than what's shown on the plans.....oh well, I guess that's why they call it a custom made boat!

Starting to think about power, and I'm looking for some feedback on the idea of putting a 90 or 115hp on this thing with the power assisted big tiller that Mercury offers, thoughts? Seems like this would leave the entire boat wide open for fishing or passengers. I'm very curious about whether this would work.

Still can't get pictures to post any longer, not sure what the deal is there...sorry!