Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

Post by peter-curacao »

tcason wrote:This build is really cool.

One thought at frame #8 where the two sets of stringers "meet" I would consider beefing that "joint" up - may act like a "seam" that may receive some additional stress since the stringers are not continuous.

Consider the amateur source of this thought and build on!! :doh:
Thank you for your input, funny I was thinking about that this morning, as you can see in the pic the stingers are continuous and staggered laminated,they just have a step in it, still I was also thinking about reinforcing them on that point. Have to see what happens if they are all taped up to the bottom panels.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

First hull panel touched glue :) First rolled biax on the inside when it was tacky I put the panel in glue beats on stringers and frames, worked great but don't think this is gonna work with the bow panels

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Another gas inboard boat went "boom" here today. Five serious burn victims including a five year old.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Was it running or starting? Or does anyone know? Saw one go up off Miami Beach when I was in high school. Never forget it. 2 guys toasted real quick. They were anchored and started it with fumes inside. A good blower would have saved them.

Something to consider Peter...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

cape man wrote:Was it running or starting? Or does anyone know? Saw one go up off Miami Beach when I was in high school. Never forget it. 2 guys toasted real quick. They were anchored and started it with fumes inside. A good blower would have saved them.

Something to consider Peter...
It happened when they started the boat, they where also anchored at the beach. There is nothing to consider I see it as standard equipment, you won't try to fly a plane with 1 wing either.
It's as Tom says with the proper safety precaution it's as safe to use as a diesel, so other then rabble rousing I not quite understand the purpose of the accident post. There are probably more gas powered power boats then there are diesels.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

other then rabble rousing I not quite understand the purpose of the accident post
Not at all!

I am just a student of risk management. As a general aviation pilot for the last 43 years it has served me well and kept me and my passengers safe.

That boat looks like its USA built and almost certainly had a bilge blower. As I understand it, the boat was being operated but had stalled. They were trying to restart it when it blew. A fuel leak is believed to be the culprit.

In addition to a bilge blower you should consider installing a gasoline fume detector.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

BarraMan wrote:
other then rabble rousing I not quite understand the purpose of the accident post
Not at all!

I am just a student of risk management. As a general aviation pilot for the last 43 years it has served me well and kept me and my passengers safe.
Ah you probably flying a diesel plane :P
BarraMan wrote:That boat looks like its USA built and almost certainly had a bilge blower. As I understand it, the boat was being operated but had stalled. They were trying to restart it when it blew. A fuel leak is believed to be the culprit.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/rTFrbkrWeAo[/youtube]
Still unless you are thinking I'm building an unsafe boat I have no clue why you are posting all this on my build thread :doh: It's more on the Facebook level if you ask me, in which you are very welcome to post, see my signature
Last edited by peter-curacao on Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

in my opinion it would be a shame to put a diesel in there.... no doubt that a yanmar or vw marine diesel would be safer and and last longer... but in a vintage hydroplane the sound is as important as the looks.... i mean its like a hot rod, it isn't supposed to be safe or practical.....

an OLDS/Buick/Rover aluminium v8 (or a newer 4,8 or 5,3 chevy aluminium block) would be perfect in the sound department... id love to help in any way i can... (perhaps a donation of chevy LS exhaust manifold flanges?) perhaps if you supplied some beer i could come and give a hand .... (trying to escape danish winter :wink: )

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

In addition to a bilge blower you should consider installing a gasoline fume detector
The best fume detector is your nose. I've run hundreds of gas inboards without an explosion. They are completely safe with common sense. The first thing I do is smell the bilge. If there is gas, you will know it. Second thing is to open engine box and turn on the blower and let run for 5 minutes. Smell bilge again. If no gas fumes, engine is safe to crank. Crank with engine box open. Follow these steps and you will never have a problem.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

danieloldhouse
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by danieloldhouse »

Cracker Larry wrote:
In addition to a bilge blower you should consider installing a gasoline fume detector
The best fume detector is your nose. I've run hundreds of gas inboards without an explosion. They are completely safe with common sense. The first thing I do is smell the bilge. If there is gas, you will know it. Second thing is to open engine box and turn on the blower and let run for 5 minutes. Smell bilge again. If no gas fumes, engine is safe to crank. Crank with engine box open. Follow these steps and you will never have a problem.
I completely agree, technology may lack your senses no, it's impossible to feel not the smell of gasoline fumes, even if you're "closed"