Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

Post by glossieblack »

I'm with Cape Man.

Reports and pics, or she'll become knick-named 'the bogged clog'. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

glossieblack wrote:I'm with Cape Man.
Reports and pics, or she'll become knick-named 'the bogged clog'. :D
LOL :lol: she does look a little like a clog
cape man wrote:Okay, so the rest takes longer...but I need pics!!!
Report!
Nothing spectacular to report, still busy with fairing, but as I mentioned the epoxy I'm using takes forever to harden, at the moment I'm not having a problem with that since I sprained my ankle and wanne give it some rest for upcoming vacation, lots of walking will be done during that. 8) 8)

Okay some pictures, started with sharpening the trailing edges, and as always fairing sucks and itches but on the other hand it gives you time to empty your head and think about things in life :D lots more of filling and fairing to do, aft section has almost nothing done yet. Gonna clean the work space, no more updates this year until after our vacation and the Holidays Image Image

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

That is one cool boat!! Can't wait to see it fly!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hi Peter a quick note on your vacation to Pidgeon Forge. There has been a large forest fire near there in the small town of Gatlinburg right next to PF. Check with your hotel and I don't know which way you were driving to Pigeon Forge but the main road through the park from Cherokee, NC to Pidgeon Forge is closed. The fire is actually into the southern edge of Pidgeon Forge, total acres are 17,400+, with 14 dead and over 1400 building burned down or damaged. The good news is all areas are opening up for business Friday the 9th and the fire is about 67% contained.

I am going to be traveling to my parents on Friday.

Here is a web site you can track the fire on http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5112/

Regards, Tom and happy holidays.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

TomW1 wrote:Hi Peter a quick note on your vacation to Pidgeon Forge. There has been a large forest fire near there in the small town of Gatlinburg right next to PF. Check with your hotel and I don't know which way you were driving to Pigeon Forge but the main road through the park from Cherokee, NC to Pidgeon Forge is closed. The fire is actually into the southern edge of Pidgeon Forge, total acres are 17,400+, with 14 dead and over 1400 building burned down or damaged. The good news is all areas are opening up for business Friday the 9th and the fire is about 67% contained.

Here is a web site you can track the fire on http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5112/

Hi Tom thank you very much for your report, I know about the fires terrible for those involved my heart goes out to them. About a week ago I sent an email to the hotel telling them that we where driving in from Charlotte Douglas International Airport the 20th of December, and asked them if we should cancel or worry, I didn't get a reply so I thought we wouldn't have to worry, should we ?

Edit: Just did a route planner thankfully I don't see any closed roads om our route, hopefully Tom Tom it right about that Tom Tom route planner
Only from Pigeon Forge to Savannah we have a little detour as it looks for now.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Peter,

If you are coming to the Savannah, GA area. I am 40 miles south and would be happy to have you visit and even take you for a boat ride/fishing or golfing if you prefer.

Regards,
Browndog AKA Jordy Evans
jordyevans@darientel.net

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

peter-curacao wrote:
TomW1 wrote:Hi Peter a quick note on your vacation to Pidgeon Forge. There has been a large forest fire near there in the small town of Gatlinburg right next to PF. Check with your hotel and I don't know which way you were driving to Pigeon Forge but the main road through the park from Cherokee, NC to Pidgeon Forge is closed. The fire is actually into the southern edge of Pidgeon Forge, total acres are 17,400+, with 14 dead and over 1400 building burned down or damaged. The good news is all areas are opening up for business Friday the 9th and the fire is about 67% contained.

Hi Tom thank you very much for your report, I know about the fires terrible for those involved my heart goes out to them. About a week ago I sent an email to the hotel telling them that we where driving in from Charlotte Douglas International Airport the 20th of December, and asked them if we should cancel or worry, I didn't get a reply so I thought we wouldn't have to worry, should we ?

Edit: Just did a route planner thankfully I don't see any closed roads om our route, hopefully Tom Tom it right about that Tom Tom route planner
Only from Pigeon Forge to Savannah we have a little detour as it looks for now.
Peter every thing should be fine by the 20th. They opened the road today, which we were surprised by. Lots of smoke and black ground to drive by this was on Hwy 441 from Cherokee to Pigeon Forge, but saw no damage in Pigeon Forge, so no don't worry, no smoke there also. If you feel you should need to check the road report through the Park it is 865 436 1200 and extension 631 once the recording starts. Peter I will be away in Asheville taking Deb to get away for our 41st anniversary to the Biltmore on the 20th and 21st so if you still want to get together it could be after that, I'd love to meet you.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Any progress with "The Clog"?

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Peter,
Dont let this beautiful boat of yours be called a "klomp" . I hope this did not deter you from building on.
But all of us insist to let us see how at least other boats get finished.
Greetings from Karl who is clear painting the tiller for the umteenth time while waiting for warmer epoxy friendly weather.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

peterrivers
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by peterrivers »

I have not been following this build until now. What a beautiful wee machine you are creating! Tis lovely! An amazing almost hourglass shape to the bottom of the boat, very cool. Will watch the thread and learn.

Sorry to hear you're selling Lucky Shot, I envisioned it as the ultimate boat to enjoy your location (and any other). Your CS build thread was inspiring to me. Everything has their day I guess.