Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

Post by willg »

It's always great seeing your creativity on this build. I bet you daydream a lot...

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

I looked to see if you've answered this already and didn't an answer: Is the piece going from front to aft across the cockpit just a temporary thing to secure the hull? If not that could be a big PITA when underway 8O :D

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Rickk wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:41 pm I looked to see if you've answered this already and didn't an answer: Is the piece going from front to aft across the cockpit just a temporary thing to secure the hull? If not that could be a big PITA when underway 8O :D
Hi Rickk I answered that question on previous page 8)
reefie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am I may have missed something, but do the central planks eventually get cut out of the cockpit area?
Yes they will be cut out together with the decking planks, reason I glassed and faired them is because I want to try and save the cut out to make it in to a lid for storage, so cockpit will be protected from the elements and vermin during storage and trailering.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Yes they will be cut out together with the decking planks, reason I glassed and faired them is because I want to try and save the cut out to make it in to a lid for storage, so cockpit will be protected from the elements and vermin during storage and trailering.
Now that is really thinking ahead, Will save time and be a perfect fit :) Boat is looking great :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I love the seats and the idea with a lid to keep the cockpit safe during transport. Some guy wrote I suppose You daydream a lot. At last a question I can answer: We are all daydreaming a lot whilst watching you building a fantastic boat. We boat builders are a crowd like all others we are thinkers and doers and some with the exceptional talent like yours who do the thinking and doing at the same time and therefore make fantastic progress. Keep up the good work and let us have every second day a picture which we can only dream of producing every second month. With your kerfed seats picture of your previous boat you helped me a lot when I did my bench curves. Seeing your new seats reminded me of that fact.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Thank you Larry B and Karl

I Put biax tape on all the seams inside and out and also over the kerfs, first thought of covering the seats after this in light woven fabric, but they are already pretty strong now so I'm not sure anymore, what do you guys think?
Last edited by peter-curacao on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Peter!! Those will be good looking seats!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It should be strong enough. I admire how creative you became with shaping plywood.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Thx Jeff
jacquesmm wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:19 pm It should be strong enough. I admire how creative you became with shaping plywood.
Thank You Jacques, so fairing and painting it is :+1: :+1:

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jtdums »

Great looking seats Peter. Can't wait to see them finished off. Your work is really inspiring.
Sanding is cathartic...