Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

Post by Jaysen »

PC, while there is a "compatibility" listing, I'd be surprised if that transmission was a direct bolt on to all those blocks. I'd say ask that exact question of the trans seller just to make sure. Or look for a manufacture spec on bell housing on both sides.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

peter-curacao wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:53 pm Sorry but did you guys even look at the links I posted?
I did! The engine doesn't look like it has ran in awhile due to rust starting to build in the v pulleys, not really a biggie. The transmission may have just been rebuilt but never installed afterwards. Little concerned the front cover has two arrows with the word "TOP" by them and they are pointing to the side. Does say it can be used with the engine but doesn't say it will bolt up without use of any additional parts. I don't know enough about marine hardware to say yea or nah.

Safe bet is buying a matched set as others have mentioned and the reasoning for doing so is very sound.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

peter-curacao wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:53 pm Sorry but did you guys even look at the links I posted?
Yes I did, and saw there was insufficient information to be able to safely assume an easy bolt together.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Peter, sorry if I misunderstood the question but what do you really want to know?
What you show is a really big engine for that little boat.
I will reread the whole thread tomorrow.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Peter, like you I'm not a motor head at all, so my only advice is to listen to the comments and make sure that motor and transmission will plug and play when it arrives on the island. The transmission seems compatible with a lot of engines, but the actual connections are going to be different. Ask the transmission guy if it would plug correctly into that engine or if you'll need some sort of adapter.

What happened to the Harley idea?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

OK, I looked at it.
I can not tell you if it will fit or if a transmission will fit because I don't have enough data.
Let's try to sort through it.

Many years ago, I had a boat yard that specialized in repowering.
Keep in mind how it all goes together.
The engine block has a flywheel on which there is a damper plate (the disk with the springs).
Here is a pic of the block without the damper plate:

On the flywheel, we bolt a damper plate:

That damper plate has a spline to take the shaft of the transmission.

To cover the flwyheel and connect the transmission, we use a bell housing:

And the whole setup looks like this:

In that pic, the bell housing is the grey part.

or like this:

In the next post, I will discuss compatibility.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

For the transmission to fit, we need a number of things to match.
Usually, the engines are sold with a bell housing but not always. Bell housings are proprietary to the engine brand. The bolt pattern is standard but they often accept the starter.
There is as SAE standard for bell housings.

The damper plate bolt pattern is also an SAE standard as is the spline. It usually fits easily.

The transmission bolt pattern to the bell housing is also a standard.

The length of the spline is not always compatible with all the above and there are several standards depending on the engine size.

I don't see any information about the bell housing on the engine in the video, you should ask.

Transmission type: it's a fast boat that will turn a small prop. Get a 1:1. The BorgWarners 71 and 72 are solid and reliable but big and heavy. Check the total length.

I prefer the Hurt which is now ZF. Twin Disc is very good too.
You should get a good rebuilt 1:1 for less than $ 1,000.00.

I recommend the following:
get clear pictures from the back of the engine, check if the bell housing is there, same for the damper plate. Measure bolt spacing and number. Find a local marine transmission guy and work with him. You can get the damper plate for less than 100, bell housing maybe 150.
I know you can bolt it together yourself, it is not difficult but the problem is compatibility.
See if that engine manufacturer propose the same engine with a transmission (for a different application) and ask them which transmission will fit on that bell housing.

I am out of that marine engine business since 35 years and do not know the SAE types anymore but I will help.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Looking for pictures, I found this:
http://www.drinkwaard.com/en/products/m ... rsionkits/

It is a Dutch business that specialize in conversions unfortunately for diesels but he may know about gas engines. There is no difference when it comes to what we discuss.
He sells transmissions.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

One more thing: check the engine rotation.
A 1:1 transmission turns the shaft the same as the block but any reduction gear will turn it the opposite way. It will matter when picking the prop.

Enough for today, I am going to get some of that Barbancourt we discussed a few days ago.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Jacques thank you so much taking the time writing those extensive answers, they make a lot of things much clearer to me and how everything goes together. Not sure what the damper plate does though :doh: I think I have a idea but not sure, suppose I go back to the Harley idea do I also need a damper plate with bell housing? or can I connect the 1:1 transmission direct to the crankshaft?

Again thank you so much taking the time answering, that goes for all of you guys, also please forgive me I'm so slow on this subject :P

Craig, Harley idea is still there just weighing options