Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
danieloldhouse
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

Post by danieloldhouse »

danieloldhouse wrote:Too much room around there, the other one was filling the whole space :roll: :D :D
LOL indeed this is a breeze, can fair the bottom also without any stairs 8)[/quote]

Yeah, but You can't pick up a tuna in there :doh:

Jokin' apart it's gonna be a beautiful boat :wink:

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

danieloldhouse wrote:
danieloldhouse wrote:Too much room around there, the other one was filling the whole space :roll: :D :D
peter-curacao wrote:LOL indeed this is a breeze, can fair the bottom also without any stairs 8)
That's very true but.......you can pick up other fish smelly wet things in a boat like that Image

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

All frames are up, tried to draw the bow mold without all dimensions there, I think it's close enough to the drawing, as far as I can see all lines , water. chine and sheer are flowing towards it.

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Looking good Peter, will be an interesting build.

At the moment it looks like a whale skeleton like you'd see in a museum :lol:

danieloldhouse
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by danieloldhouse »

peter-curacao wrote:
danieloldhouse wrote:
peter-curacao wrote:LOL indeed this is a breeze, can fair the bottom also without any stairs 8)
That's very true but.......you can pick up other fish smelly wet things in a boat like that Image
Didn't think about that Peter! I must fly down there when you'll finish 8)

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Figuring out the stringers in hardboard

Since I didn't got much reply on my stringer question, I decided to go ahead with 2x 6mm laminated 80 mm high full length inner stringers.
Maybe I will place outer stringers in 8 mm or also in 2x 6mm laminated.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Figured out the stringers , well I think I did :doh:
ImageImageImageImageImage

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Peter, I’ve had to learn my way through the choice maze for a 1:1 gearbox/transmission connecting an engine to a straight prop shaft for my ST21 build. As you may be seeking the same thing, the following may be of assistance. I should stress that what follows is self-evident to experts, but was a series of OMG revelations to an amateur like myself.

Firstly, when in forward motion, the propeller is trying to push the shaft through the boat, and the only thing stopping it is the gearbox/transmission. So the gearbox needs a thrust bearing strong enough to take the lateral and torsional loads. If it hasn’t, the geearbox or the engine’s crank shaft will quickly be destroyed. Marine gearboxes have appropriate thrust bearings, but most non marine ones do not. For example the ZF Hurth 45C marine gearbox that I’m using has one, but the snappy little 1:1 boxes produced for souped up go carts, and that I nearly used, do not. To use one, I would have had to insert a standalone thrust bearing between it and where the prop shaft entered the boat. If you choose to use an automotive engine with its’ own gearbox, or one of the hot go cart boxes, then you’ll need to insert a thrust bearing that is firmly attached to the hull itself.

Secondly, most marine boxes are designed to be bolted directly on an engine, either by using an off the shelf bell housing (and sometimes with off the shelf adapter plates as well), or by having a marine engine builder modifying an off the shelf bell house and/or adaptor plates. So for example, if you go with a common automotive or marine engine and ZF Hurth 45C combination, chances are there will be off the shelf bell houses and adapter plates available. If you use a non marine box, then you’ll need a length of shaft connecting the box to the thrust bearing, then another length of shaft connecting this to the prop. The shaft connecting box to the thrust bearing is likely to require a universal joint at both ends, to cope with the vibrating movement of the engine on its mounts.

Hope this is of some help. The stringers look the goods. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Moving quickly!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Looks great! And what Craig said, you are moving fast! Not building on island time :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose