Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

Post by blueflood »

Way cool Peter 8)
Reminds me of these :D

Marc

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

justin_dwyer wrote:Looking good Peter, will be an interesting build.

At the moment it looks like a whale skeleton like you'd see in a museum :lol:
The Petersaurus Rex :lol: :D

Marc

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Peter, don't mean to get off the subject but I see your build video on YouTube is labeled cs25+3. Did you stretch it 3 feet? I'm interested in a cs for my next build after the xf20 I'm currently building but would rather build a 28 ft boat. The 110 gal fuel capacity on the 25 is just not enough for the Texas coast and its gotta have twins. A 28 ft boat could hold the extra fuel for long runs off shore.

BTW. This one looks like it's coming along great! You build a lot faster than I do.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Can't wait to see this one come together!

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

glossieblack wrote:Peter, I’ve had to learn my way through the choice maze for a 1:1 gearbox/transmission .................Hope this is of some help. :D
Thx Glossieblack this helps a lot, the intention is not to reinvent the wheel and stay with marine grade stuff only
Cracker Larry wrote:Looks great! And what Craig said, you are moving fast! Not building on island time :lol:
Thx Craig and Larry, yes Larry that Dutch mentality keeps following me :D but the start of a build always moves along quickly.
blueflood wrote:Way cool Peter 8)
Reminds me of these :D

Very cool pic Marc, Stylish car also
blueflood wrote: The Petersaurus Rex :lol: :D
Marc
That's funny :lol: :lol:
MrPaul wrote:Peter, don't mean to get off the subject but I see your build video on YouTube is labeled cs25+3. Did you stretch it 3 feet? I'm interested in a cs for my next build after the xf20 I'm currently building but would rather build a 28 ft boat. The 110 gal fuel capacity on the 25 is just not enough for the Texas coast and its gotta have twins. A 28 ft boat could hold the extra fuel for long runs off shore.

BTW. This one looks like it's coming along great! You build a lot faster than I do.
No worries, no I didn't stretch it, the 3" is the bracket/swim platform size, some or maybe all manufactures even include the anchor pulpit in the overall length, I don't think that's fair, that's why I labeled it 25+3 instead of 28. About fuel consumption I can troll a whole (long) day not even using 1 full thank (58 gallon) Don't know if by law you need 2 OB'S but if not I would go with a single and a kicker.
bateau-webmaster wrote:Can't wait to see this one come together!
Well here you have some more pics :P

Frames filleted and tabbed to the inner stringers, not the best work I have done but will do for now, decided to go for outer stringers also, I think/hope it's gonna be strong.
Nesting outer stringers
Gluing/laminating the outer stringers

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Thanks for the info on the cs peter.

This one is coming along quickly! Can't wait to see some skin go on this hull. Looks like it's going to be a real nice boat.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Peter,
This is one very cool boat, speaking of skin, how are you going to determine the size and shape of the plywood panels? (Sorry if u discussed this earlier in your thread)

Thx
Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Joe H wrote:Peter,
This is one very cool boat, speaking of skin, how are you going to determine the size and shape of the plywood panels? (Sorry if u discussed this earlier in your thread)

Thx
Joe H
No problem Joe I didn't discuss it anyway, I'm planning to put a sheet on like in the picture and then run a long dowel along the inner, outer chine and sheer then mark it.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Good plan!
I was thinking I would have to draw everything up on CAD and unfold the panels then dimension them up, lots of hours of work, I like your idea better!

This may give me the incentive to design and build my own rum runner.

Thx
Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Peter, do you prefer a marinized petrol or diesel engine?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).