FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by joe2700 »

I'm starting my fast skiff 17 build in Massachusetts today. Plan is for a center console, and sheer raised 8". I was planning on 6" but pictures of steve292's look good so why not go with that. Aside from the raised sheer I hope to stick to the plans pretty closely, the only exception being my intent to put a thin coat of glass on all exposed wood, even where not called for in the plan.

I've picked up 9 sheets of 1/4 okume and 6 sheets of 3/8 plus a few tools and consumables now. I also got a sample kit of the system 3 silvertip line of products which I'll play with this weekend. Next week I'll try to figure out of much I need of all my glass and epoxy products and get an order in for the silvertip stuff if I like it, or maybe west system which I've used previously otherwise.

I just finished organizing the shop and getting the larger plan sheets printed. Going to start drawing the frames and molds now. I intend to document the build pretty well, including time and cost. I've failed on that intention with other projects I've done but lets see if I can do better this time. I'll mostly be working on weekends(and not every weekend) so I'll try to get a post up at least once each weekend I can work.

Hoping to get all the parts cut out and the frames assembled on the strongback this weekend so time to get going.

One questions I already have for the raised sheer. I'll raise the transom by the 8" and cut ~14" bulwarks. I also need to raise both clamping boards inserts by 8" correct?

Joe

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by Fuzz »

Welcome Joe,
This should be a fun build to watch. As far as epoxy I have used a number of different brands. System3 and Marine epoxy are my two favourite. For most of what I do I can not see much difference between them. If you are building in foam JM says to use the System3 but for all other uses Marine Epoxy is just fine. I prefer both of them to West System as I do not think the 5-1 mix is as forgiving.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Ok another question. For the panels that you make 2 copies of the plans say to cut one and use it as a pattern for the second. I'm planning on attaching 2 pieces of plywood together with a few screws and cutting both sets in one pass. Is this a bad idea for some reason?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Joe2700, Welcome to the Forum and I very much look forward to watching your build. I can assist with products but prefer others provide you the build guidance as they have the experience to steer you in the best direction!! Again, welcome and we will enjoy your build of the very popular FS17!! Jeff

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Thanks Fuzz, I've never had a problem with mixing the west system 5-1 using the calibrated pumps hand pumps. I'm considering moving to the system 3 silvertip line because it's blush free, and I'd be using all the premixed adhesives and putties. The consistency and ease of use over mixing fillers myself is appealing, but I did want to try them out first.

I suppose if I don't like the the premixed stuff I could check out marine epoxy over the west, especially if that is also blush free,

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Hi Joe, and welcome to the forum. Cutting your panels as you described is the way to go as long as you're sure the layout is correct. Otherwise you screw up 2 panels instead of just 1.... I've worked with West System for over 20 years and it's a great product, but you'll love the Silver Tip or Marine epoxy. I too have no problem with the West mix ratio, so that isn't a deciding factor for me. My problem was in trying to cut costs, I started with Silver Tip, than switched to Marine Epoxy, and in a pinch when I would run out, pick up some West locally. Problem being, I'm always in a hurry with everything I do, so any delay having to wait for a full cure before proceeding with a different epoxy just about killed me. I have no patience for waiting, and it drove me crazy. I personally think the Quick Fair and EZ Fillet are fantastic to work with, the consistency perfect for their purpose, and with the 2 part glue, if I wanted it a little thicker, used some West 406. I also used a few tubs of West 410 fairing filler because I didn't order enough Silver Tip filler. With glassing all surfaces as you described, the added raised sheer, and if you plan on a nicely faired bilge etc. I'd start with 12 gallons of epoxy minimum. I'm comparing the FS17 to my build of the FS18 low sheer, a smaller boat, and I used about 9.5 gallons, and I'm currently close to finishing the FS14 Low Sheer, and I've probably used 9 gallons. If I were to start the FS17 I would just order all Silver tip products and get the 15 gallon kit. No running out, no delays, and all the same formula. Hey, it's a boat after all, and it's only money, so just go for it. Looking forward to following your build. Good luck, and have some fun. Mike

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Solid advise from Seaslug. He knows what he is doing, and as seen at this years meet, he builds a really nice boat.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Thanks seaslug, I was already planning on figuring out what I need then adding a fudge factor and trying to buy more than I could possibly need to avoid running out mid way. Like you say the time is the killer when that happens. I think the 15 gallons that you suggest is in the ballpark of what I was looking at. While it's not cheap stuff I'd rather have extra than run out, I can always find another project for it. Glad to hear you had a good experienced with the premixed stuff.

Joe

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Welcome Joe: Nice to see another builder from around this area getting started. I'm in southeast MA, and completed a C 17 center console a few years ago. Let me know if you would be interested in seeing it sometime, although it's a different design there are a lot of similarities.
Where do you intend to use your FS 17 when complete? I will be following your build with interest, and wish you good luck with your build.

Bob Marshall

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Watch out with that clamping board and transom: if you raise it, the prop will not reach the water!!!
The clamping board height must match the outboard shaft length.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com