FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by joe2700 »

Thanks Jeffs!

Mostly just me working on it, did get some help with painting recently and other big tasks earlier in the build.

I finished up the painting by getting the first coat of bilge paint in the storage areas, under the side decks, and on the back of the inwhales.
Imgur Album

After all the painting it was nice to take a few boats out to a nearby island and camp with some friends.
Imgur Album

Alright back to the boat. I still don't know where my waterline will be, I'll test that in the water before final paint. To do that I will need a drain plug installed, so I bottom painted where the drain plug will go to be ready to install it.
Imgur Album

After that took the exciting step of having a motor put on! Dropped the boat off for the weekend, I may have driven past once or twice to make sure she was safe.
Imgur Album

Worked on the console in the mean time, building in the partition that will keep the fuel fill and vent separated from the rest of the space with a removable cover. The pipe is to pass through the wires to the switch panel since they are fixed length.
Imgur Album

I cut a slot in the back of the console shelf and added a wall to it. the wiring will run in this slot and the wall will stop things rolling off the shelf, I hope.
Imgur Album

Glued in inwhales in permanently.
Imgur Album

Then came back with my brand new 60hp suzuki. Looks great on there to me.
Imgur Album

The anti cavitation plate is about 1/2" below the bottom with the motor mounted in the lowest hole so I think a good starting point, and I have room to adjust higher if I want to.
Imgur Album

Had to build a motor stand out of my old strongback to take the motor back off. It works but is a little unstable while you are moving it, have to be real careful. It's very stable when down.
Imgur Album

In addition to the g10 backing plate on the inside of the transom for the motor I wanted to put g10 rod around the mounting bolts. I needed to enlarge the holes while staying on center which is hard with a hole saw. I ended up putting a smaller rod around the pilot bit on the hole saw. A little strange but worked well.
Imgur Album

While the motor was on I had checked clearance for the swim platform, that it would allow the motor to fully turn and tilt. So I now screwed the swim platform to the transom and tested it. Worked well, I'll glue it on after it's primed. I was planning on adding a handle on the transom for it but I think just grabbing the top of the transom will be fine.
Imgur Album

On an evening boat ride we found a boat in the color I'm going for. For a while I thought I wanted claret red, but I saw it at a boat show and it's too purple. I think I actually want vivid red? It sounds scary like it's fire engine or something but it seems to be the right color. Anyway, this boat is the color I want to paint my hull whatever color this boat is. Any guesses on if vivid red is the right awlgrip color? Always hard to tell in pictures.
Imgur Album

I glued in some plywood to give the appearance that the inwhale wraps onto the transom.
Imgur Album

Cut the ancor hatch hole out of the bow deck and glued the deck to the frame. I had constructed a curved hatch for this opening previously.
Imgur Album

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Everything looks great, especially the ‘Zuki!

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Thanks Dan!

I did a test for how I plan to secure the console and seat to the boat where I won't be able to get to both sides of the bolt. Made something like 60 little g10 bushings.
Imgur Album

I put some mold release wax on the bolts and inserted them through the holes. I hand tightened some standard nuts on to them, then glued the g10 ring around the nut, filling the inside of the ring with adhesive. To my relief when the glue dried the bolts came out no problem. The nuts are held captive so I will be able to tighten the bolts from one side.
Imgur Album

Just like 45 more of these to do on the console and seat...

Next up I spent some time on wiring, mainly because it's fun. I have some fuses directly on the batteries now so needed to check clearance and raise the console shelf by about an inch. These blue seas MRBF fuses are clever. Lets you have basically 0 unfused wire in the boat even to the starter with 200 amp fuses on those wires, and 40 amp fuses to the battery charger.
Imgur Album

I installed my battery switch and "shore power", just a waterproof ac plug for the battery charger you'll see in later pics.
Imgur Album

Then started making all the wires for primary connections from the batteries to the switch, charger, and aft bilge where the motor will connect. All 4 AWG other than the battery charger/ ACR which is 8 AWG. Ancor wire and terminals crimped on and sealed with adhesive lined heat shrink. My heat shrink labels don't fit on 4 AWG so they got normal labels wrapped around them, all other wires got heat shrink labels.
Imgur Album

Ended the day with 12+ volts at the correct locations and the batteries charging overnight through the "shore power" and battery charger/acr combo.
Imgur Album

I should have returned to more pressing items at this point but was having too much fun and spent another day on wiring. Laid out the rest of the in console DC distribution.
Imgur Album

Also needed to shorten the NMEA 2000 power cable so took the one I had apart and learned how it was wired up and remade it a few feet shorter. Basically just wire the positive to DC positive and the negative and ground to DC negative.
Imgur Album

Checked that I'll still have good access to everything with the hatch frame in place.
Imgur Album

I made a whole lot of cables over these 2 days. Its very relaxing work to me. I don't get tired of it like some of the other work. Time to more on for now though, it all came back out.
Imgur Album

Much less fun I installed the rest of the nuts for mounting the console and seat.
Imgur Album

Put a second coat of bilge paint in the anchor locker and bilge, and the only coat under the seat and console.
Imgur Album

The done column is getting filled up but just like at work the todo column fills up as fast as things get done, never gets shorter.
Imgur Album

And finally, the post are caught back up to real time. Here's a gorgeous sky I spotted out the back of the workshop last night. Hope to be seeing these from the water sometime this year.
Imgur Album

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Great Job!. Your wiring and electrical work have set a new Gold Standard for the forum. Mine look like spaghetti compared to yours and I thought I was being neat!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I will never post a picture of my wiring, especially now! Awesome job.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Thanks all

I used some extra g10 tube to make a small flag pole for yacht club burgees and a tube for it to drop into on the bow. Will just be a friction fit with a bolt through the hole stopping it from going too far into the tube. I'm a member of two clubs and people like to fly the burgee for special occasions. I'll use the aft rod holder for the ensign.
Imgur Album

I also played with where to mount the fire extinguishers. I like the horizontal position which is still visible but not as in the way. I don't trust the cheap plastic mount in that position though. Purchased a few starboard mounting brackets so we'll see when they come in. Plan is the horizontal position mirrored on each side.
Imgur Album

Then I drilled a nice hole in the bottom of my bilge. Installed a composite trudesign thruhull. One of the approved installation methods is to use thickened epoxy to make the thru hull an integral part of the hull so I took that approach. This one is recessed so with just a bit of sanding should be very smooth on the bottom of the boat. I also dry fit the ball valve, it will be installed with sealant later.
Imgur Album

I fit the 2 thru hulls for the bilge pumps as well, then took them out to epoxy coat the holes.
Imgur Album

I have all the hardware dry fit in the bilge, will add sealant to all the screws and make the installation permanent soon.
Imgur Album

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Awlgrip vivid red is the color we painted my sons canoe.
You can see pictures of the painting of it in the build thread linked in my signature as well as pictures on the water also linked in my signature in the lqunched thread.

And here is what it looks like 3 years later with some minor scratches and dings and mounted on a standard sheer fs17
20200817_061515.jpg
20200816_114132.jpg
20200815_071143.jpg

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

narfi wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:07 am Awlgrip vivid red is the color we painted my sons canoe.
You can see pictures of the painting of it in the build thread linked in my signature as well as pictures on the water also linked in my signature in the lqunched thread.

And here is what it looks like 3 years later with some minor scratches and dings and mounted on a standard sheer fs17
Great info thanks Narfi

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Insane workmanship, Joe, Damn! The bar just keeps getting higher around here. I need to find some imperfectionsists to hang out with. :lol:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:59 am Insane workmanship, Joe, Damn! The bar just keeps getting higher around here. I need to find some imperfectionsists to hang out with. :lol:
Well the other side of that coin is my build is approaching 4 years haha.