FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, you can have the clamping board go all the way down.
The goal was to save weight. If you don't mind a couple extra lbs, cut it that way.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Yea I figure it will about even out with not having the top parts of the clamping board so I went for it. I have the transom and one clamping board cut now. Modified the transom for a 6" raised sheer.
Imgur Album

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

FS 17 - Raised Sheer - Weekend update

Post by joe2700 »

Spent about a day and a half this past weekend and got the rest of the okume cut out other than the bulwark and a few small bits I'll cut as they are needed. Also drew all the molds onto 3/4 MDF and completed my test panel for the silvertip products. Next weekend to work will be 3 days at Christmas where I hope to end up with a boat shaped thing in the garage.

I need to order my epoxy this week. I did like the silvertip products and will go with that system. Just need to figure out how much I'll need of each product and assuming I purchase from here as planned I need to compare buying individual products v. the kits plus some extra v. 2 kits. I know one kit won't do it.

Few Pics:
Imgur Album

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Joe2700, take a serious look at the System Three SilverTip kits that we offer, they are normally best value and include shipping. Happy to assist you or discuss any options. You can drop me a mail at: jeff@e-boat.net or just call me 772.770.1225. Jeff

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Thanks Jeff, as soon as I estimate how much I'll need of everything I'll be in touch about getting an order together.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Joe, Good luck with the FS-17. I am interested to see how a raised sheer one turns out.
As for the System3 if it was me I would order extra unless you are close enough to get it quickly. The nice thing about System3 is I know it lasts for a long time. I have an OD-18 built out of 20 year old System3 and so far no problems :D

cape man

Post by cape man »

There's a really good complete thread on one that was built around the same time as I was working on my boat. I actually had a chance to see it in person on a trip to the UK. Nice boat, and a great guy who I'm sure would answer any questions you might have.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?t=13968
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

I read through that thread before even purchasing the plans capeman, it is a great one. Helped with my decision to go raised sheer.

I got my epoxy order in at just about double the FS17 kit plus a few extras like system three yacht primer. Hopefully won't have to worry about running out during the build at all now. According to the shipping notice I have about 250 lbs of epoxy products on their way. I should have the Christmas and New years long weekends coming up to get some work done.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

You got a good deal. Reid gave you a great customized quote and thank you for the order.
Plus, it's a nice design, you"ll like her.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Joe2700, thank you very much for your order today!!! It is on its way to you!! Really looking forward to watching your build!! Happy holidays and enjoy the build!!! Jeff