C-17 Our first Build !

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

C-17 Our first Build !

Post by David516 »

Well, we're excited. The materials started to arrive for our new C-17. We received the fiberglass, epoxy and supplies. I'm planning on starting the boat in mid January when things calm down a bit!
I am curious about one of the epoxy chemicals That was included in the kit. It is called "System Three Gel Magic" I looked it up on line and im drawing the conclusion that it is intended for the glueing part of the stitch and glue assembly. What I'm wondering is whether or not that would be used in adhering the two overlapping hull sections or would the regular epoxy (silver tip) be used for that purpose?
Anyone have any thoughts on it?

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: C-17 Our first Build !

Post by joe2700 »

Good luck on the build, I've just started mine of an FS17.

I'm interested in the question you asked as well. Normally I would have used thickened epoxy but much more wet than I'd used for other glue jobs. I'd be tempted to coat both sides with a thin coat of unthickened epoxy followed by the gel magic even though gel magic shouldn't require pre-wetting. Let's see what other people say though.

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

agreed. I would guess we want that area as strong as possible.
I have heard this term "thickened epoxy" before. I that done with the silica beads or wood flower?

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

You can thicken epoxy with different fillers, for different purposes. There are adhesive fillers, fairing fillers, etc. The system 3 products like gel magic are really just pre thickened epoxy so the gel magic is thickened with adhesive filler, quickfair with fairing filler, etc. You could get almost the same effect by mixing the system 3 epoxy with those different fillers yourself, this is just easier and more consistent, and possibly with a few special benefits.

Gel magic claims to be an adhesive epoxy you don't need to prewet for, and my test batch shows that to be true. I was first thinking it would be better to coat with plain epoxy but now that I think about it that would probably just make it harder to keep the pieces from staying aligned, and straight gel magic is probably how I will go.

Here is a video that shows about how I plan to do it. It's from a wooden boat building channel I really like. There as a lot different about wooden boat building v. building a stitch and glue boat but laminating layers of would should be about the same either way.

https://youtu.be/-t_w38mS9bo?t=323

If you have some time to kill watch the 20+ videos of the work skiff he is building right now.

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

Interesting video ! I think that gives me a direction to go in joining the two hull overlaps! I'll most likely do the same as you. i dont see how that could fail. The inside of the joined parts will be waterproof and the outside will be biaxial on the lower (chine) side and thin epoxy sealed on the upper section.
when do you plan on starting to build?

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

I looked at your post. I wish you the very best of luck !
I ordered the kit since I have limited time and am notorious for mis-measuring complex cuts!
I think you do not have problems in that area!

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

You use gel magic to glue anything together " rubrail layers, transom layers, stringers, hull seams pretty much
any time you glue . You do not have to prewet before use . that's the beauty of it , saves time .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

I used the gel-magic for the stringers and transom for my FS17. I still used epoxy and wetted out the surfaces before spreading the gel-magic. I did read that you don't have to do that first, but thought it couldn't hurt. It's pretty impressive stuff... apparently it will glue anything together. :lol:

I did a fiberglass splice for the hull and bottom panels. Didn't use gel-magic.

I'm going to use the Silvertip EZFillet to stitch it together. I guess you could use the gel-magic?

Gel-Magic would be ideal for your overlapping panels.

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

Thank you Topwater that explains a lot!
I think I'll get more and use the Ez Fillet for the beams, closets bulkheads, and benches !