C-17 Our first Build !

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: C-17 Our first Build !

Post by David516 »

Thanks, Parkrat, It does seem a good idea to use it on attaching the hull pieces.
Ill post my progress when I actually start the build which hopefully should start a week or so after New Year.
Happy Holidays guys !

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

You can use the Silvertip gel-magic for the outside hull seams as long as the temp is okay and it doesn't sag. Another member willg suggested to run blue tape along the seams underneath. I did that and tacked mine together last night using the EZ fillet. Worked real well and glad I ran the blue tape first. Didn't get anything on my garage floor. :lol: The EZ fillet is really easy to work with and doesn't sag at all.

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

Thats what they say about the Gel magic in their technical information. Ive never worked with either before. Ive only done lamination previously.
I guess i have a few weeks to decide. Temperature is no problem (only problem is paying the heat bill !!!!!!!). I guess either would be acceptable.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Yes, either works. I keep my garage around 70 degrees when working and I think the gel magic would have run through the seams.

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

Good point. Mines about 65 Degrees. How much of a gap do you leave in the keel and chine seams?

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

What I've gathered and did with mine is use a common nail as spacing between the seams so you can see light from the other side.

It also depends on how well you cut and draw the panels. Mine is a little wonky in places so i have some larger gaps. Once you get to that point you will probably be able to decide.

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

Im not doing that cutting :D I'm having Bateau do the cnc cutting to save me time...I usually have no time to even die (good thing) but it does put a strain on projects so anywhere I get a break i take it !
Have you thought about wood wedges (their like 3 bucks a dozen) to space the seams? Im thinking they might be very stable for you to work and adjust.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The easiest thing to get and manage is tile spacers. Available at Lowes in the tile section in sizes from 1/8 to 3/8 inch sizes. They have four legs one in the joint, two resting on the panels. Wood wedges might or might not work I can see them falling through the gaps if you don't put a nail in each one to keep them from doing so. :lol: :help:
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

Thats actually a good idea. I dont suppose the gap has to be extensive so its worth using since they also take up less space.
nice.

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=63466

Just wanted to document the very beginning and learn how to upload an image!

Thank you Jamie ! Got it...I think !