Landon's 1/10th Scale FS19 Model

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Landon's 1/10th Scale FS19 Model

Post by narfi »

Winter project so I can make all my mistakes cheaply and learn the system before building the 1:1 scale. Hopefully build some confidence along the way. A lot of difference between reading and looking at pictures and actually seeing something take (mis-)shape by your own hands.

Got home after work tonight and first project was Building a crystal radio Landon got for Christmas. Unfortunately the only station here is fm and the radio we built only receives am. Was still interesting that you could get static through the speaker considering it uses no batteries or power source.
20161226_221647.jpg
Then we cleared the table and broke out the balsa and tools and plans.
20161226_202240.jpg
We cut .8" strips of balsa (1/10th of the 2x8s called for in the plan) and pinned together the strong back. The cutting board has a grid on it which we used to keep it square.

Didn't have any wood glue around and didn't want to test how noxious the epoxy we got is this soon before bed so we called it a night and cleaned up. Will glue it tomorrow and pull the pins.
20161226_221217.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Landon's 1/10th Scale FS19 Model

Post by Fuzz »

Now that is a neat project! I am sure the boy is going to enjoy this as much as you or even more.
You do know this is going to result in extreme BBV right :D :help:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Too bad about the radio, that is a great thing to do with your son.

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

narfi wrote:BBV?
Boat Building Virus. We're all infected and it looks like a new case here as well. Very cool, keep posting pictures!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Borrowed some glue from work and glued the strong back together on my lunch break.
20161227_130438.jpg
Added some weight on top till tonight. Probably not necessary but the balsa us so light I wasn't sure if the corners would stay down while the glue set. It's fast stuff so probably pointless......
20161227_130657.jpg
Lesson learned: if the pins are glued in, twisting them slightly with pliers brakes them free and they pull out easily.

Tonight draw out the panels and cut them.
Then figure out how to "stitch" them 1/10th scale.......
String?
Just tape from the bottom?

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Got any more of the copper wire you used for the crystal radio? Bet that would work well for the stitches.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I am thinking anybody who builds a strongback for their scale model is going to build one fine full size boat :D

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Did more thinking than building tonight.
Got most of the molds drawn out and just one major mistake on "E" after drawing it the V looked too deep and didn't match the appearance in the plans. Redid my math and measured and re-measured and it was all right just looked wrong. Third time measuring I figured I had marked the bottom of the sides above the BL instead of below. Marked again and it looked right.
20161227_193240.jpg
20161227_195811.jpg
Then I got distracted reading the plans and confusing myself.....

Questions:
1. The transom is stitched inside the side panels not butted up behind?
2. Both transom clamps are both forward of the transom or one on each side?
3. Are there notches in the stringers or just the molds? It looks like just the molds but not having done it yet "feels" like everything would fit nicely together if both were notched together?
4. I read that stringers are two plus of 9mm? Somehow I had missed this before and thought they were just one sheet thick.
5. The actual bulkheads (Not the moulds) are multi piece between stringers? Guess that would answer question #3.....

@Jacques on page 7/8 of The instructions (both digital and the printed version you sent me) the number of sheets of plywood is missing from the BOM.
20161227_211253.jpg
Also on page A314/3 mold "D" has a sillouet of the transom offset about 1/3rd The way off with 2 curved lines I don't understand... is it there by mistake or is this something I need to understand?

@Fuzz The goal is to learn the process more than to have a model boat. For me atleast that requires doing all (most) of the steps I will when building 1:1. That way I can ask all these stupid questions now when it's dark and cold instead of when the sun is back and I can be out working on the real thing..... I want to understand as much as possible to prevent any mistakes and delays asking you guys questions. :p