Landon's 1/10th Scale FS19 Model

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Landon's 1/10th Scale FS19 Model

Post by narfi »

Or maybe I was right the first time....
From Plans wrote: The standard lamination schedule is for a boat built exactly to plans with max. HP 115 and
maximum loads of 2,500 lbs.
For larger engines and heavier loads, double the bottom fiberglass: 2 layers each side.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Doing some quick and dirty math. Water =62 pounds per cubit foot. If your FS 19 is 6 foot by 15 foot at the water line you have 90 sq foot of area. To push that down one foot it will take 5580 pounds. I do not think you are going to have a problem being able to haul the weight. Volume maybe :?:

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:12 pm My dory weighted 1750 all up. 50HP outboard, 5 HP kicker, gas and all the other stuff included. I have run it with well over 1000 lbs of people in it and still ran in the low 20s. I know the dory is a bigger boat but all in all I think they are pretty close to each other.
OD18 displaces 1630 at DWL.
1750+1k is 2750 or 1120 more lbs.
OD18 PPI is 322 so just under four inches above the DWL when you were loaded like that?

That gives me a lot more confidence as most of the time (If my calculations are right) I'll be lighter than the DWL displacement weight of 2500.

I think with careful work I could keep the fueled and equipped total under 1650ish even with a closed bow and double console + rear bench. I'll have to do more math when I'm more awake to verify though:p

That gives me 850lbs for day to day running around while still staying under 2500 self draining weight and no problem with 1000-1500 for group camping trips.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I know you were talking about a boarding ladder a while back. There was an episode of Florida Sportsman: project dreamboat where they customized a typical transom ladder into the bow of the boat. I don't think it would be that difficult, just take some time.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I have a three step boarding ladder on my OD18 that I bought from Cracker Larry. I tried to post a pic but just couldn't.

As far as wood vs. foam goes you will gain only a 25 to 50 lb weight savings if that with foam costing you 2-3 times more. This is true for any small boat under 23' when you get to that size you can start to realize savings in weight and costs start evening out.

Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Hey Narfi,
I think after reading your questions about weight I think I understand now. You are thinking with your pilots brain. Boat is not the same. If you overload it it will not preform as well and will sit lower in the water but it is not going to stall and fall out of the sky :help: :lol: :lol:

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

@silentneko I watched the episode but not much info other than that they installed one. Certainly something I'm interested in pursuing further though.

@TomW1 how do you use your ladder over the bow?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Sorry Narfi I wasn't clear the ladder is on the transom left of the motor.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978