OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

OD18 - NH

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Hi Everyone, just started my OD18 build so thought I would start a topic to record my progress. I had loads of great advice before I decided on this model and already have loads of questions now it's underway.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Starting to build the strong-back to support the boat.

Plenty of help available to keep me going.

Lockable casters as I'm short of space so it must be movable.

Cross-members located to support frames and panel joints.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Started cutting out the molds.

Started laying out the molds just to get an idea how things look.

Big box of plywood turned up with quite a bit of damage to the packaging.

Thankfully no damage to the contents at all so great job packaging.
Alan.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Fair WX Pilot, really glad you had no damage as it looks like the freight guys were pretty tough on our packaging!!! Also, looks like a great shop!! I will enjoy your build!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I see loads of tools...................really nice tools. :D I am betting this is going to be a really nice dory :!:

cape man

Post by cape man »

You are going to love this journey. Nice to see another OD18 getting started. Great boat!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

One thing to consider now. I built mine like a tank. Lots of glass and epoxy not in the BOM, full deck, two batteries, big fuel tank, etc. She came in 300 lbs heavier than the plans. To this day I regret not raising the sole an inch which would make it self bail with a load. She self bails empty, but step in and the water comes in the scupper. Means raising the stringers which is an early step in the build. Don't know your layout plans, but if you're following Cracker's or mine she will be heavy.

Heavy is good when working a rough sea, but she won't bail except on a plane.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

cape man wrote: if you're following Cracker's or mine she will be heavy.
I followed Cracker's and Capeman's and mine is heavy too, but I love it just the way she is. Not a speed boat but very stable.
Completed: FL14, OD18

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Like the others I also raised my sole about an inch. I to believe it is a good move.
I did my cleats a little different. I ripped a 2x the width of two cleats plus the frame and then cut a dado slot in it. All I had to do to install the cleats was put some wood/epoxy glue in the slot and place it over the frame. Saved me lots of messing with clamps.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Fortunately for me I have the benefit of all your builds. The OD18 is quite well documented on this forum and it was reading your build threads that swayed me toward the OD. Unfortunately I like all your boats so mine is probably going to end up quite heavy as well. My plan is to keep the basic structure as light as possible to allow for all the goodies later on.

The scupper issue has cropped up on lots of posts and was a bit of a concern when choosing a design to build. I have raised my stringers to 6" at the moment to help a bit but can raise the sole more if I get bold later. I did read several posts saying that there may be stability problems if it is raised too much.
Alan.