OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Thought I had better bring my log up to date. I glassed in the chines with two layers and the bow and transom with three layers as per the lamination schedule. No real problems here as its quite a simple task with plenty of access. I was careful to get a good bond on the transom as it was a little harder to get the tape to conform to the shape as I had opted to install the clamping board early.

Measuring for the under sole framing was made easier by using the two sticks method. I always use this method when measuring weird aircraft shapes and it has never let me down.

The framing cut and test fitted in place.

I did like most people on this forum and hot glued the frames to battens so that they were held clear of the hull avoiding hard spots and perfectly aligned with the top of the stringers.

I took everything out and gave the inside another good sand. I primed the frames with neat epoxy and tacked them in place.

The next step is to fillet the frames and glass them in place. I cant find anything in the lamination schedule stating if its one or two layers of tape on the frames so if anyone knows that would be great. I am fairly sure its only one layer on the frames.

No work on the boat tomorrow as we're off to the New England Boat Show in Boston for the day. Looking forward to looking a boats I cant afford and getting some good ideas for this one.
Alan.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

That all looks great 8) 8)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Agree with Peter, your build is looking great!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Is really looking good! Thanks for the tip on battens and aligning the frames. As a first timer and doing a sole in mine it will come in handy.

cape man

Post by cape man »

The plan doesn't call for glass on the frames or stringers. I used 12 oz bias tape on all of them, one layer each side, per Cracker Larry's advice. Yesterday the bay got real sloppy after lunch, and I was glad I did. Nice to know it's there when you need to pound through a hard chop.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

cape man wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:42 am The plan doesn't call for glass on the frames or stringers. I used 12 oz bias tape on all of them, one layer each side, per Cracker Larry's advice. Yesterday the bay got real sloppy after lunch, and I was glad I did. Nice to know it's there when you need to pound through a hard chop.
Craig, I thought it called for glass, so I got out my plans and sure enough you are correct. I must have got the same info from Cracker Larry. I also taped all frames and stringers, it makes for a feel good feeling when the water gets rough.

Alan, your boat is looking great, you are doing a fine job on her. Very clean work. :)
Completed: FL14, OD18

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Larry B wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:22 am
cape man wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:42 am The plan doesn't call for glass on the frames or stringers. I used 12 oz bias tape on all of them, one layer each side, per Cracker Larry's advice. Yesterday the bay got real sloppy after lunch, and I was glad I did. Nice to know it's there when you need to pound through a hard chop.
Craig, I thought it called for glass, so I got out my plans and sure enough you are correct. I must have got the same info from Cracker Larry. I also taped all frames and stringers, it makes for a feel good feeling when the water gets rough.

Alan, your boat is looking great, you are doing a fine job on her. Very clean work. :)
Thanks Guys. I think I do remember having this conversation with you before and that’s why I glassed the stringers in because you did it on Clara. I think my memory is going with age. 12oz tape it is.
Alan.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Beautiful thing about age...we get to forget things...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

The fillets and glass on all that really bumped up the list of materials. Bet I have close to 2 gallons of epoxy down there, but again I'm glad it's there!

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Got the floor beams glassed in and their not going any ware.

I used a straight edge to project the floor level onto the sides and spent a while cutting floor supports, each with an individual bevel to fit the sides. It takes quite a while to get these right but its not fairing so I'm not complaining :D .

Gave the parts a first coat of epoxy to prime the surface. Good job I remembered to number them or it would be like doing a jigsaw puzzle covered in glue!

Inside had another quick sand and a guide line to help with the installation.
Alan.